SiJ 2018 - outtakes and experiments

Discussion in 'Photo Challenges' started by MoonMind, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MoonMind

MoonMind All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just after midnight, I got quite frustrated trying to shoot the fireworks, but I'm sure now it was not the camera's fault; after posting today's image, I want out for dinner and took a couple of night shots on the way; here's just one that shows how nicely the V1 can deal with the dark (provided I stay below ISO 800 and judge conditions suffiently well).

SiJ2018_01_outtake.jpg

The less "fun" aspect is that I only noticed after taking the shot that there was someone homeless asleep in the street underneath that window - and it may well be freezing tonight. He/She chose that spot for the relative shelter it offers. Something to ponder ...

M.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I find with the Nikon 1 cameras of that era, that keeping ISO right down as much as you can, *and* making sure there's a reasonable light source, and it does OK. I like that shot, it works well :)

For myself... I have one from day 1 which I would dare show here, and its awful. I have no idea why I thought a 10-30mm could possibly be long enough to get any detail in this bird but I tried anyway. Its a Koel and has been annoying me for days with its constant calling for companionship, all day and half the night. All the others have gone to greener pastures.. she's the last of them and she just wont go.

5890CA60-A790-4AA6-A6AD-9204F7F236BA.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  3. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Here's one of our native streamside trees, Hazel Alder, Alnus serulata. I was trying to frame its cones and catkins against the backdrop of a frozen stream, and I felt like the composition just ended up being a busy mess.

DSCF1057-1.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    • Like Like x 10
  5. MoonMind

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The idea's sound, though - I quite like the way the foreground and background interact; the net/crack-like structure of the hazel really adds to the image ...

These are great, Antonio - super-wides are wonderful lenses if used skillfully. Really makes me consider the Laowa 7.5mm f/2 for :mu43: again ... but I couldn't probably justify even that (let alone the Zeiss). I'm most probably not best at "seeing" wide ... Anyhow, keep'em coming, love it already.

M.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. What I pre-visualized and what I got? Well. . . ;-)
    . . . David
    Bike Bridge.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ajramirez

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Quite true. Part of this exercise is to allow me to better visualize how things look through the 15mm before I even bring the camera to my eye. I keep forgetting how wide 15mm really is.

I appreciate your kind words.

Cheers,

Antonio

8. ajramirez

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Thanks Sue!

9. ajramirez

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    27681977039_e990b4bc75_o.jpg
    Después de María
    by Antonio Ramirez, on Flickr

Both this and my shot for the day were shot during a brief drive during my lunch break today. Over three months have passed since the storm, and there is still a very significant amount of dead tree limbs and debris everywhere. Although neither shot shows this as clearly as I had hoped, I believe the one I posted is a bit more effective than this one.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 4
  10. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Day 4 outtake: Intensify CK edit
    IMG_0083i.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2017
    Troy
    Here’s the original for today’s shot plus another random attempt with my fogged up lens and camera...

Snapseed really saved by bacon today...

0FDB98F9-F875-4C84-9570-079632A823E0.jpeg

EA731372-ABAC-4EF7-A08B-A045DE95B2C6.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  12. MoonMind

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    After a rather frustrating day, I happened upon a rare sight very close to my place - a flock of sheep grazing on a piece of unused farmland (it's now closer to a grassland), amidst the wind and rain. Very pleasing sight, in spite of the miserable conditions; this image shows how close they were to the houses in the neighbourhood:
    View attachment 131595

M.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Covey22

Covey22 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 3, 2012
    This was part of my take the other day. Amusing to be sure - as I almost fell over him despite the "Slips, Trips and Falls" mandatory office courses. :cool:

SiJ-2018-Day03-003_Luminar2018-edit-LREdit.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. john m flores

john m flores All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    A feral cat's been hanging around my backyard for months so I started feeding it. It's still not letting me close but I got this shot by controlling the camera remotely with the app.

27685131669_06da8fedca_b.jpg
    I call him Snowflake
    by John Flores, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  15. ajramirez

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    • Like Like x 9
  16. donlaw

donlaw All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    P1030005.jpg
    Hampton is a coworker and often lunch time companion. Tried to make this Day 3, but just didn't get a good feeling for the sun blast on the left side of his head. Ultimately got beat by the anniversary selfie...
    He may pop up again during SIJ as I continue to follow a theme of only faces.

• Like Like x 5
  17. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

I usually much prefer black and white images, however here's the image from day 5 in a colour version, it would have been entitled "Pastel shades of winter".

180105-1030737-colorefex.jpg
    Barrie

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ajramirez

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Beautiful!

• Agree Agree x 2