SiJ 2018 - Day Thirty One.

With pain in my heart my nikon disposed of but I am totally happy with my fujifilm.
I enjoyed all of the pictures again.
Karen your special view results in beautiful images, Antonio what a beautiful series too, Marlof the way you see landscapes, the planes and lines, so amazing, and I would like to thank you for your support and for the last photo! See you next year.
Hanneke

View attachment 132748
I have truly enjoyed your work throughout the month. A beautiful portfolio that deserves printing. Thank you for sharing!

Cheers,

Antonio

Spotted this little fella on my walk this morning and cycled back in better light this afternoon...

F5040809-3E2C-4512-91F0-B3173BF08E58.jpeg

I was good for the first half of the month and then things got all pear shaped. I was going to come here and say that I failed, and perhaps in the strict sense I did. But I did take photos and play with the fisheye and got more experience with it. So even in failure there is progress.

View attachment 132755
They asked me to work the scoreboard by John Flores, on Flickr
SIJ is not a contest but rather an experience governed by a simple set of rules. We all learn something about our photography. It always reiterates to me that my gear is not the dominate factor in my work. I also liked Bill Palmer's comment that these photos tell us more about the lives of participants than other photo challenges. That's probably why I enjoy looking at the pictures so much.

Since today's sunset was spectacular (and stayed so for a while - I have half an hour worth of shots from different places and times), I couldn't resist:
SiJ2018_31.jpg

Well done all, it has been an amazing experience with everyone hanging in there and producing tons of worthwhile and inspiring images. It was a wonderful opportunity to see so many great shots. I'm as elated as I'm exhausted - and now, I'm looking forward to picking up other (digital) cameras again. SiJ has certainly done its thing on me again ...

M.

So, hereby hangs a tale. I was in London today, on business. On my way home I thought I would snap a shot or two at Waterloo Station. I was merrily doing some slow shutter shots from the mezzanine level when I was challenged by an official chap in a yellow jerkin. He was very polite, as was I, as he asked me what I was doing. Reassured that I wasn't intending to blow anything up he explained that if I wanted to carry on shooting I was welcome to apply for a permit. "How long does that take?" said I. "A couple of minutes." He averred.

Five minutes later I was health and safetied and passed up and free to shoot without molestation by The Man.

Thus, my last shot of the month is my only one for which I had accreditation...
2018_0131_15420600-01.jpeg

As a bonus I haven't done a selfie this month, so this is by way of covering that base. I have deliberately done a tight crop so as not to show the whole detail of the pass, but my "work location" so amuses me I thought I would share...
2018_0131_15410000-01.jpeg

I started this challenge a day late (thanks Matt for putting me in) and must say that I have really enjoyed it. A bit apprehensive at first as this was my first SiJ but soon realised that I could always find something but I also found it frustrating at times when due to the weather things didn't go to plan. Roll on the next challenge.

39978645282_a402564c44_c.jpg
SIJ2018 Day 31
by donlaw200, on Flickr
The final image was at a quick stop in the Ghostlight Coffee shop! I didn't catch her name, but she gave me a great smile to finish off my 'faces' SIJ project. This has been a great experience for me since I forced myself to ask quite a few strangers to let me take their photo. Of course some were family, friends, and a few were quick stealth photos. But, overall I am pleased that I got many more people saying yes to being photographed than no.

Guess I'm the last in on the post. The good news is this shot was eluding me the whole time. I saw it several days before SiJ started, but time and traffic always precluded me. I finally just came in late to the office, pulled over about a block away, hiked it up a really steep and icy hill to stick my lens through someone's fence. In retrospect, it was a bit cheeky, as I walked away, I realized the homeowner was warming up his car! Fortunately, he seemed preoccupied by something else and either didn't care or never saw me. Good way to end the series. Bravo Zulu everyone (Navy talk for Job Well Done)!

SiJ-2018-Day31-001-Edit-LREdit.jpg

Back