SiJ 2017 - Day 18.

I don't feel so bad posting rotting pears when I see that everyone is struggling with the gloom. Even though it's been bright here, it's incredibly cold
and the M doesn't lend itself to being lugged to the local park for speedy dog pics..... so the pears it is. I have whimped out at this stage and swapped the M for the A7RII which I find much easier to use.

DSC02763-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A7RII 50mm Summilux iso 3200

Last edited:

Ricoh GR

It's not cold in Edinburgh today but its flat pack grey and gloomy. My enthusiasm didn't even try to get out of bed when the alarm went off this morning. Work today as usual for me so I had to leave the house without it. Dark mornings, short grey days, dark nights. No wonder I see the world in monotone.

SiJ is a chore when your enthusiasm is fast asleep in bed. SiJ is an even worse chore when you top that with little time to do it. Half hour lunch break at a push sandwiched by work at either side. You begin to worry you won't get "THE" picture. Lose sight of "ANY" picture. End up feeling frustrated. Crap photographer. Contemplate, briefly, a new hobby. One with less GAS. Knitting ... no.

In my mind SiJ should be simple. Just point the camera at any subject, shoot a picture, edit it as much as you can be bothered and post it. Make fine art out of the mundane. It's not that simple though. The heart gets in the way. Or is it pride? I don't know. Something, anyway. I guess we are all different. We all have our "somethings" that make this challenge ... well, challenging. All I can tell you is that I'm usually okay with SiJ until it's time to post the picture and my photography is put on show. Then doubt and insecurity can become my best friend. (Will you get my mundane?! Heck, do I get my mundane?!! Should I be knitting?) Not every day though, some days photography just clicks in the right place and I'm proud of my "work" (or good luck)!

I don't know about you but I find this challenge gives me as much pain as it does pleasure. I'll be glad when it's all over but I know that next year I will put myself all through it again because I've found that the mundane images I shoot in the SiJ challenges encourage me to be more creative in the pictures that I make. It makes me make pictures I wouldn't normally make. I'm out of my comfort zone. And that's interesting. Except when my enthusiasm won't get out of bed! Then it's just a chore. Seriously, this challenge is exhausting!

K

Singles in July has had lower participation because so many folks from the forum are on vacation or other summer activities. Singles in January has worked because it gives folks motivation to get out and shoot as opposed to just sitting in the house. For me, I much prefer the overcast lighting of January to the strong high contrast light of July. July would have flowers, however.

Singles in April or September. The latter especially is intriguing - heat is winding down for us Northern Hemisphere folk, and it's not quite foliage yet, so it's just as much a truffle hunt at times, not exactly what we called a "target-rich environment."

Yesterday's clouds thickened and delivered today. It seemed dark, cold, wet and windy all day. Not as bad as all the other reports, but enough to effect the psyche. I started playing with an indoor image in Analog efex 2, thanks to Briar's great series. I am afraid the storms will be coming in through next Tuesday, but I am hoping for a sun break. View attachment 122870

I've parked my camera and my body. Cold (-22f) and snow, snow and more snow. Spring and fall, is where it's at! No more mid summer/winter PADs for me.

Ya know, that is probably a good idea. In the antipodes, the winters are okay unless you live in the snowfields, but I can see that spring and fall/autumn would be a suitable time for most people. January in Oz is becoming more intolerable, year on year.

We get out to do what is necessary, but right back inside. We are not naturally inside people, but at 69 and 70 with aging issues we do what is practical, but not always a 'barrel of fun'. Cameras are always ready, just not in heavy use.
When I clicked on your location, it indicated the temperature as -18F. I'm a bit younger than you, but I'd stay inside as well.

Yesterday's clouds thickened and delivered today. It seemed dark, cold, wet and windy all day. Not as bad as all the other reports, but enough to effect the psyche. I started playing with an indoor image in Analog efex 2, thanks to Briar's great series. I am afraid the storms will be coming in through next Tuesday, but I am hoping for a sun break. View attachment 122870
Beatiful composition, crisp processing!

M.

Back