Nature Signs of winter

Got "wintery mix" yesterday, and are getting what looks like snow out the windows again today. Means I've had to add one more component to the bicycle attire...

0qvg.jpg

Ray, what a beautiful day you had down there! I think West Chester should host a show of your local photographs because they sure are excellent publicity. I think we should have moved "south"!

Ray, what a beautiful day you had down there! I think West Chester should host a show of your local photographs because they sure are excellent publicity. I think we should have moved "south"!

It's a very pretty town BB - I'm far from the first or the best to photograph it...

-Ray

Ray, THAT is what a downtown should look like. Human-scale street scape, everything geared for pedestrians, interactive welcoming storefronts, tree cover... swoon. That's a gorgeous little downtown.

As someone who spent a career as a town planner, we didn't decide to live here by accident! :cool: Of course, it's a lot easier when the town has been here since Colonial days - it's a lot tougher to develop them like this today, but it occasionally still happens... We live within 3-4 blocks of every one of these photos.

-Ray

Oh pshaw, Ray - you are West Chester's photographer! They may just not be aware of it, yet.:drinks:

Yes, you picked a great town. When we moved, I was seesawed back and forth about trying to live "in town" or out...for now it's out, not a walk into town alas, but for now we're enjoying our views. Price point and availability were also key.

Back to signs of winter! View attachment 82049

As someone who spent a career as a town planner, we didn't decide to live here by accident! :cool: Of course, it's a lot easier when the town has been here since Colonial days - it's a lot tougher to develop them like this today, but it occasionally still happens... We live within 3-4 blocks of every one of these photos.

-Ray

As per usual, you did something right. We haven't really improved on urban planning in the last hundred years. Usually the opposite.

Hey great contributions by everyone to this thread…. we need to dispel the myth that all interesting photographic subjects have summer green, turquoise waters, autumn golds, etc…

A few from this week, first in Eastern Canada (Kingston) and the second two from here in Saskatchewan.

Ghost skaters (bench-assisted 1/2 second exposure with the X2)

Sundogs in the south sky
(for those who have not seen this phenomenon - sundogs are the colloquial name for short rainbow-like colour halos formed as the sun's rays refract off ice crystals in the air; the air must be very cold to hold these crystals (usually at least -15C to -25C).

The dogs must be walked…

"Father Christmas"

11373326976_352f682ee2_c.jpg

Camera Roll-90 by BBW: BB Wylie Walden, on Flickr

This is John who is one of the most wonderful fellows in town. He's the chief at our local transfer station AKA town recycling center, AKA "dump". John is one of the highlights of our weekends when we load up and head down...usually country music is wafting across the airwaves, along with plenty of good cheer.:D

Back