Nature Show Seaside

We have a small DSLR forum ? I didnt know about that -is a k20d small? (it weighs a ton )
View attachment 49084
sandymount by NIKKI O BRIEN, on Flickr

Nice shot, Nikki. I wanted the K20D but didnt realise how heavy it was, and when I picked it up in the shop, wrenched my right wrist so effectively it put my DSLR purchase back by 6 months, and then, I bought the K200D instead because it was lighter. The K-5 isnt as heavy as the K20D, and only a bit more than the K200D. Dimensionally it seems a LOT smaller, especially with a 15mm prime attached

Small: if you think its small, then it is. Thats what Amin says. So I reckon its OK to post your stuff in there :)

South Cronulla Pool this morning...

6854208475_1e828c0b18_b.jpg

Cronulla South Pool n1024 - 1_1 by peterb666, on Flickr

6854210497_2040296425_b.jpg

Cronulla South Pool n1024 - 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

6854209251_3330e8da77_b.jpg

Cronulla South Pool n1024 - 3 by peterb666, on Flickr

6854209957_8ac85f2710_b.jpg

South Cronulla Pool o45 4 by peterb666, on Flickr

The first 3 shots were taken with a Nikon D90 and Nikkor 10-24mm zoom while the last shot was taken with an Oympus E-P3 and Olympus 45mm f/1.8.

There is another shot in the Black & White and sepia thread that follows on from this... https://www.photographerslounge.org/f92/black-white-monotone-sepia-184/index146.html#post63887

Another lovely set from you, Peter! Tell me, were you using an ND filter for the first couple? I've acquired an ND400 and ND8 but havent yet learned how to use them. Must take lessons.

Thanks.

There are no filters on the first two. It is quite dark and the white in the sky you can see is actually light pollution from the city in the distance. It was actually amber but when correcting for the strong sodium vapour lighting around the pool, it turns white. What should be blue-grey cloud is now very blue and looks like clear sky.

#3 had a 2-stop hard grad (ND4). In NDs as opposed to grads, I have only a 10-stopper (around ND1024 from memory) but as I have longer 150x100 sized hard-grads in 1, 2 and 3 stop, I can slide those down to fully cover the lens and effectively have ND2, 4 and 8 filters. I rarely use them that way.

2q8nafr.jpg
wmmqkh.jpg

For all you sun stressed folks, eat your hearts out at our bounteous cold and rainy weather. There was a moment when a ro-ro, giant car carrier, went by that was almost hidden in rainier weather earlier. We got a break in the light and I grabbed this, M9 with a Canon 35mm LTM f/2.0.

The EXIF data under the photo is wrong as the lens used was not coded into the camera. And it is sharper on the computer than it is here displayed. Sorry about that.

L1001997a.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Here is another relief from sunshine for you folks. Sunshine is such a bourgeois concept. ROTFLMAO We have had two weeks plus of this. In this instance there is some sun as it sets out over the Pacific as seen from my back door a few days back. Followed by today. I like to think of it as a dramatic grey.

Pixii camera, Cooke Amotal lens.

P0000239.jpg

P0000242.jpg

Last edited:
Shooting with a different gun tonight. We have one of the navy's controversial littoral ships in port here tonight. It arrived this afternoon. The second ship, broadside, is a Zumwalt class missile destroyer ship. Mysterious and sinister. A littoral was here last year and guarded by special ops guys with weapons. They were mildly hostile to my questions. Not regular military as they were "uncovered." They were not wearing headgear which vets know is "part of the uniform." Anyway, I thought they might be interesting.

A7300845.JPG

A7300846.JPG

Last edited:
Here is another relief from sunshine for you folks. Sunshine is such a bourgeois concept. ROTFLMAO We have had two weeks plus of this. In this instance there is some sun as it sets out over the Pacific as seen from my back door a few days back. Followed by today. I like to think of it as a dramatic grey.

Pixii camera, Cooke Amotal lens.
Your first one is very similar to this shot I took from our front verandah at Cape Marengo, near Cape Otway, Victoria. (Previously posted elsewhere).

e-30_jak_2010-p4182249_Ew.jpg

Your first one is very similar to this shot I took from our front verandah at Cape Marengo, near Cape Otway, Victoria. (Previously posted elsewhere).

View attachment 349665
There always seems a calming effect of the water. The benefit of my view is that all the traffic up and down the Columbia passes my door. Today's thick fog meant many fog horns, used still even though nav is radar and GPS in fog. The Admiralty cannot assume that all have radar.

Back