Sports Show Motorcycles & Scooters

My buddy and I are going to go for 2 motocamping trips this year to Vermont instead of 1. Got some maintenance to do first, but then we'll be all set. Cannot wait...

Don't go too mad - a friend of mine who bought a few bits from me to take a trip from the UK to the Middle East and back 5 or 6 years ago is still going around the world. He is now in South America - we get an email from him every 3 months or so.
Just him, his mid 1980's BMW R80G/S and his tent and cooking stuff, he is writing a book about his journey, a big change from Banking - still he is young, single and loves to travel.

Good luck to him - sends some marvellous images back using just a small compact camera - he always seems to find "great light"

Don't go too mad - a friend of mine who bought a few bits from me to take a trip from the UK to the Middle East and back 5 or 6 years ago is still going around the world. He is now in South America - we get an email from him every 3 months or so.
Just him, his mid 1980's BMW R80G/S and his tent and cooking stuff, he is writing a book about his journey, a big change from Banking - still he is young, single and loves to travel.

Good luck to him - sends some marvellous images back using just a small compact camera - he always seems to find "great light"

He needs to be be careful Bill or he could end up like our Hubert! Hubert Kriegel on Thetimelessride RTW :)

This is mine, it is a very normal scooter, but it is simple and easy to drive and I can do some short travels with the 300cc engine

12072011139.jpg

Looks like he is in S Africa now - must be having a great time!! - I'll bookmark his site

he needs a shave!!

Bill, Hubert is an icon in motorcycle circles (try saying that after half a bottle of Rioja) I've been following him for about 3-4 years or so. He untook the original "10 years on the road" after recovering from a cancerous growth in his neck, he's in his mid 60s now. The cancer made a return last year so he he took himself off the road for a while whist he underwent treatment, mostly in his native France, it's nice to see him back travellng again and to see his photos - he's quite an accomplished snapper. If you get a chance, try to read through some his travels, he's a real character and that old Ural sidecar outfit he rides has been rebullt more times than "Trigger's brush",it's had bits welded onto it in almost every backwater shanty town in the world, it's a rivetting read.

D

My buddy and I are going to go for 2 motocamping trips this year to Vermont instead of 1. Got some maintenance to do first, but then we'll be all set. Cannot wait...

Bike trips are the best, I used to love the long Europe trips we did. Alas, after a few health issues I can't do the long tours any more by bike, although I do still ride & we may be doing a short run to Belgium later this year and staying here: http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/eng/frame.htm

These were taken in 2009 on what was to be my last long bike roadtrip - 3 weeks riding Europe. After this the heart problems started.

My Honda VFR all packed up and leaving our hotel at Chioggia in Italy
34bLeavingChioggia_zpsf84907ed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On the ferry across Lake Maggiore
View attachment 87177

On the Bernina pass heading for St Moritz
49ridetoStMoritz_zps794627a1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Video:

Bike trips are the best, I used to love the long Europe trips we did. Alas, after a few health issues I can't do the long tours any more by bike, although I do still ride & we may be doing a short run to Belgium later this year and staying here: http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/eng/frame.htm

These were taken in 2009 on what was to be my last long bike roadtrip - 3 weeks riding Europe. After this the heart problems started.

On the ferry across Lake Maggiore
View attachment 87188

Nice bike and nice shots! Sorry to hear that you can't take the big trips anymore, but you did, which is saying a lot. The video brings back good memories of riding in the Alps. Is that a Moto Guzzi Griso that you are on the ferry with?

Nice bike and nice shots! Sorry to hear that you can't take the big trips anymore, but you did, which is saying a lot. The video brings back good memories of riding in the Alps. Is that a Moto Guzzi Griso that you are on the ferry with?

Yes, John it's a Guzzi 1200 Sport which belonged to my pal, Ian - we've ridden 1000s of miles together over the years. Actually, the trip in the video was the last one in Europe with my wife. In 2010 my son and me hired two bikes in Vancouver (my daughter lives there) and spent just over a week riding out to Banff in Alberta and back via the Icefields and Jasper. I got quite ill after that and eventually had a "significant" heart attack some time later. I was never "fixed" properly, hence having to curtail my riding habits by a fair amount.

My mate Ian now rides a Honda VFR1200 and I ride a BMW R1200R.

Fabulous photos, you obviously still ride?

My mate Ian now rides a Honda VFR1200 and I ride a BMW R1200R.

Fabulous photos, you obviously still ride?

At least you rode. So many look at a nice bike and think of epic trips with nothing but longing and coulda-shoulda-woulda in their hearts. Motorcycle trips are so life-affirming.

I've got the enviable job of writing for RoadRUNNER, a motorcycle travel magazine. So they basically pay me to ride, take photos, and write...stuff I would have done anyway. Oh, and they give me a new bike to use too.

That VFR1200 has uncanny straight line stability-more than any the motorcycle I've ridden. And BMWs are so refined, design concepts polished over the years until they shine like jewels.

BMWs still break though, John. My fuel gauge has just developed the ubiquitous problem of showing permanently empty so the low fuel light stays on - it's like a super trooper, especially at night. I'd fix it but the new ones fail as well in a short time so little point spending £140 on a new sender unit. The bike has done just short of 7k miles! I'll eventually "fix" it by using a resistor to fool the light into thinking there's a full tank and it 'll go out. Then I can carry on doing what I've always done since the days that bikes didn't have fuel gauges .... i.e zero the trip at fill up time and count the miles on the oddo. This is my 4th BMW and every one has been an unreliable heap of crap - but I love riding them. The Hondas were ultra reliable but just a little too bland and I love twins.

You're a motorcycle travel writer? wow! My dream job. Any links?

I would love to tour one day but my reluctance to leave my dogs in kennels or with anyone else limits my outings to day rides. This year my ex is taking them for seven days so I hope to get the Ducati up to Scotland for a god soaking and a mouth full of midges ! :)

Go for it Garry, you'll love it - Wester Ross to Ullapool is great on a bike & weather permitting a detour over Applecross. A nights stay in Ullapool is good too, the Ferry Boat In on Shore street is a nice way to while away an evening, supping their good selection of single malts

Back