Bugs Show 'Insect'

Peter, thank you for bringing this thread back up with your spider pix. I see that I'd missed quite a few in between.:redface: Though I am a bit of an arachnophobe:eek:, I do appreciate your photos and the comparisons you've made.

I'm bumping this thread up, having just moved it out of the Mu43 forum, because I know for a fact that some of you out there in member land have taken some excellent photographs of insects and they're yearning to be let loose here.

Stillshunter - are you reading? ;)

Yes I hear you BB ...and thank you :redface:

Please note all - that I have an Administrator-issued "Big Clunker Exception" for this one....as it was shot with a 90mm macro lens attached to a very un-compact dSLR. For those who are curious this web was formed within the space of wire-mesh fencing - approx 2" x 2" (5 x 5cm). The spider is less than a quarter of the size of the fingernail on your smallest 'pinky' finger.

5314792683_f17309e9fb_b.jpg

Morning Web by stillshunter, on Flickr

Yes I hear you BB ...and thank you :redface:

Please note all - that I have an Administrator-issued "Big Clunker Exception" for this one....as it was shot with a 90mm macro lens attached to a very un-compact dSLR. For those who are curious this web was formed within the space of wire-mesh fencing - approx 2" x 2" (5 x 5cm). The spider is less than a quarter of the size of the fingernail on your smallest 'pinky' finger.

5314792683_f17309e9fb_b.jpg

Morning Web by stillshunter, on Flickr

Nice work, looks great

Golden-ringed Dragonfly

These all date from the summer of 2010 and were taken on a Panasonic G1 fitted with 105mm, f/2.8 Sigma DG Macro

1010297.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

male

1010676.jpg

head detail of a female

Barrie

Barrie and Bill - wonderful dragonflies! Bill, I don't think your snail would be too offended by being amongst friends, if not family.:D He's awfully cute! That is a fantastic closeup!

P.S. Bill what sort of insect is your first?

Some Moths from last nights running of a moth trap

All these images were taken with a Panasonic G1 fitted with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit

1000986.jpg

March Moth, note this one has been around for quite a few days, the scales have been worn away from the thorax revealing the "chitin", the hard skeleton below the scales.

1000988.jpg

Oak Beauty

1000991_1.jpg

Hebrew Character

1000993.jpg

Early Grey

Barrie

Barrie, these are great - to be able to see such a closeup is very interesting! The details and variety are, for the uninitiated, certainly amazing. Love that "fur stole" on the Hebrew Character and the Earl Grey looks as though he is cloaked in fur... Really wonderful to see, thank you!

Bees!!

While snapping pics of this tree, a few bees decided to get busy. They were hard to get cause they did not stay still long.

DSC03464.JPG

DSC03478.JPG

DSC03543.JPG

DSC03624.JPG

After taking a few a went into the house and was looking at the shots. I noticed a bunch of spots showing up. I looked at the lens and it was covered with dust. Grr. Went back out and took a few more with out dust. Oh well, live and learn.

Bug spotting in New Hopetoun Gardens (a lovely garden centre) near Edinburgh ...

4954899997_7d5f7f4741_b.jpg

Taken with my e-pl1 and it was my first expedition with my oly zuiko 35mm f3.5 macro lens in September 2010.

Cheers, Briar

Back