Show Film Noir

Big points for the person and quality composition. It doesn't say "hot tub" to me because the water isn't bubbling around the person, or whatever I see typically in hot tub photos. But it's a little soft for noir. If you added a small handgun that would raise the noir quotient considerably. The second image looks like a place that might harbor a small-time drug deal, but move it to the docks etc. and it could get interesting.

DSCF4245-mad-sm75.jpg

Our man in Vienna ...

When I first captured this one, I thought it was amazing. Now a few years later, I realize I just love it because it's my wife and maybe the processing is OK. But I no longer think it's so special. Do you guys think this one has the noir feel?

View attachment 111257late night hot tub by Luke, on Flickr

One of the later lessons on photography that I learned and wish I had learned earlier is that pictures of family are special.

You cannot quantify what people appreciate about art. All too many times people like certain artists because they are influenced to think that if society likes it it must be good.

We all probably know the story of Van Gogh as a prime example.

Same with the recent influx of found film photographers. The narrative of the day says we should celebrate them because of certain demographics they represent and social media pundits tell the masses that they should like it and why. The need for some to want to be liked and part of something bigger than themselves influences what they “like”.

First and above all, you take picture for you and what pleases you. If other like it, that’s nice, but others should never influence what it is you are capturing those moments for and how.

One of the great liberating moments for me was shuttering my photography business and concentrating more on the my journalism business. I no longer was beholden to make images that others dictated, mimicry of Pinterest or the fad of the day.

I craft images and write stories in my way and how I want it.

That image of your wife is lovely and don’t ever doubt the impact that it has on you. You have a captured sliver of time that will never be reproduced again in that exact same way.

Enjoy it, savor it…pass it on to future generations with the story behind it, no matter how insignificant it might seem to be to you right now. Trust in the fact that future generations will appreciate it.

Back