1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Show "Dandelions"

Discussion in 'Nature' started by stillshunter, Mar 12, 2011.

1. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    C'mon we all have ventured to snap a dandelion puff or two in our day. You know the one, the classic "here's how good my macro/close-up is" shot. Well here's a chance to bring them out to see the light of day.

Well I confess to never tiring of the patterns and textures of our natural world - and I think the puff-balls are quite the phenomenon. So here's one to kick us off....taken with the Sigma DP2s and AML-1 close-up filter. Simple B+W conversion.

View attachment 34022
    Obligatory dandelion shot by stillshunter, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. Will

Will All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Just wait several weeks

GRD2
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/8076775@N02/2438570634/" title="R0010117 by meaning_of_light, on Flickr"> 2438570634_ee54bc034b_b. "768" height="1024" alt="R0010117" /></a>

• Like Like x 3
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Here's a couple from last year, Panasonic G1 with 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you Mark for starting this thread on the ubiquitous dandelion! Yours reminds me of a geodesic dome - although much more etherial. We don't have any dandelions, yet, we've just hit crocus stage. I promise to take a photograph when they emerge.:biggrin:

As much as many consider them weeds, they do have such sunny dispositions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

And seem to be very widely distributed, something else I've learnt through this forum :smile:

Barrie

6. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Agree wholeheartedly with you BB. They do have a nice effect on the viewer. I especially like their 'gone to seed' form. It takes me back to a childhood where you could not help but rejoice in the act of blowing them and watching the heads catch the light as they scattered through the air. I suppose each of us is a little responsible for the spread of them then :redface: Though what an excellent evolutionary mechanism....the one's that appeal to curious children the most, thrive, globally!

So I wouldn't consider them a weed, just utterly successful. Though they do sometimes get in the way of butterflies....as this random photo demonstrates :wink:

4527174646_7187b312d7_z.
    Heavy Butterfly? by stillshunter, on Flickr

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.