Animals Show "Cows"

View attachment 75629
p1750705211-5.jpg

and the one from the Silver September thread:
p1761825416-5.jpg

C'mon guys, I know I've been off and on here recently but no activity on the Show Cows thread for over three months. C'mon that's unforgivable!

Here's three sequential shots of a splinter group of my neighbour's herd. Couldn't pass up this light as spied on my way back home through our 'driveway'. And that's what's so 'Van Damme' (don't want to blaspheme) cool about Serious Compacts. The likelihood of their being near or on your person is directly proportional to their weight. This one's done with the GR which was 15cms (6 inches in old money) from my gear shifting hand….it's not often much further away.

11918037645_a10ab7c3a8_b.jpg

scatter #1 by stillshunter, on Flickr

11918600053_30982ce833_b.jpg

scatter #2 by stillshunter, on Flickr

11919024226_607cd9affb_b.jpg

scatter #3 by stillshunter, on Flickr

I've only just found this thread. I suppose Tulip could have gone in here. Not many cows around my part of DC (apart from the ones in Safeway and Whole Foods) - only the two I know of, Tulip and Rose at the National Zoo. Now that I know the thread is here I might have to go and take some more shots of them. In the meantime here's one I made earlier of the girls' grooming routine.

<center>
10421731603_4c89d2068d_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01373 by ...olli..., on Flickr</center>

One of last years calfs. Ernie is quite the character….especially in concert with his best mate Bert. For those who follow my family album, Ernie is half brother to both Sebastian and 903; who I showcased earlier in this thread.
(apologies for the cross-post with film thread…but only few visit there for different and specific reasons)

13714724884_5ff17352b0_b.jpg

....an older boy from our herd.

13813540155_e65371fcc7_b.jpg

First, pretty nice shots.

Second, I'm assuming you have a ranch. Just curious as I used to work the Spring and Fall drives of a family friends herd from age 15-20. Love to hear your story.

First, pretty nice shots.

Second, I'm assuming you have a ranch. Just curious as I used to work the Spring and Fall drives of a family friends herd from age 15-20. Love to hear your story.
First, thanks.
Second, sort of.
Not a 'working property' per se. We are part-timers (full-time work / a lot of commuting / part-time 'farmers') ;) So we sit just far enough away from town to not see anyone, to have around 120 acres of good granite and basalt land to run some cattle (all pets, no meat, no market) and horses. The latter are mainly rescues. The other half finds them when they are THIS close to 'being dogged' (waiting at the abattoir for processing into dog meat) and transports them home. Brings them back into shape and teaches them manners and rides them (jeez I make it sound so simple). The theory is to sell them on, but this phase has yet to materialise….oh except the last rescue, Stella, who is being 'leased' by a friend.

So it's a little fun and a lot work. But don't think I'd have it any other way…..well except maybe the commute and the full-time salaryman gig! :dash2: …if only there was money enough in cow portraiture.

Sorry to disappoint Dave - I'm less John Wayne and more Billy Crystal :blush:

Back