Birds Show Birds

2833183541_4d320d0e2e_o.jpg

Wow, John - what a great catch! I love to look at birds of prey. They're beautifully intense, I think. You use of selective color certainly allows us to see this Red Shouldered Hawk much better than we would if it was all au natural.

My gosh, I almost missed that stork - an Adjutant Stork! It has such a great name. He looks rather like an aged adjutant, though I know that is their normal look and hasn't got anything to do with balding. I was just reading that they are about five feet tall!

Pavel, how close were you to this stork? He looks as though he might be eyeing you for a potential meal!

this is a great big crop ... I'm pleased with the quality though

View attachment 32936
E-P2, Cosina Cosinon 135/2.8, 1/500s, f/?, ISO200

This old lens was given to me, having been in someone's loft for many years ... there's fungus in it, but it still seems to manage to produce sharp contrasty images ... it can do a Very Sharp macro with extension tubes ... it's an M42 mount and I use a cheap-and-nasty Fotodiox adapter

they started getting going here about a week or ten days ago too, and are now utterly relentless ... one even penetrated my dreams this mornign, so loud was it outside my window

yes, it was my first harbinger of spring as I heard one stutter a bit out, getting more sure by the way ... I'd swear I heard a chiffchaff having a practice today too (but it was probably a great tit )

Thanks BB & James,

The beercan lens is a telephoto 70-210mm f4 constant lens. It doesn't fit the "compact" definition but the A33 body does. The lens was made by Minolta in its heyday (costs less than $200 today) and compares favorably to lenses costing hundreds more. Even being telephoto, I was about 10 feet away and cropped the image by about a third.

Back