Show best of the month - July 2013

Briar

Hall of Famer
A new month is upon so time to look back and choose your single most favourite image from July.

Please share by posting below.

Using IR converted Canon G5.

9333097647_ab6c618365_b.jpg

Space Ship Guggenheim

Too many photos to pick a favorite for July. But this one from my visit to the transformation of the Guggenheim in NYC stands out. The building is exceptional and incredibly photogenic in its regular form but the James Turrell installation makes it seem like you just beamed down from the Enterprise!
Fisheye lens view from lying on the floor in the transformed atrium. Colors change over time...fantastic experience.

9420482706_3b1e400c4c_b.jpg

James Turrell

If you live anywhere near NYC, go check this out.

It's such a mixed joy, this monthly task: Do I pick my favourite or do I pick my "best"? The two sometimes coincide, but not this month, This one's the "best" from July

9379591638_4d2c135949_c.jpg

b20130727-3 by _loupe, on Flickr

I didn't take that many photos in July, I like this one, not because it is a great photo but because it captures the relationship between young and old.

X100MandN.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For all of the photographs I took in Italy in July, many of which I'm very happy with, my favorite photograph of the month was a family shot that I showed on Facebook for those who know the people involved, but nowhere else. But its a photograph I love, of my wife, daughter, and mother-in-law, on a boat ride back from Capri. My daughter and mother-in-law only overlapped for a couple of days of the visit (which was good because the places we were staying were not big!) and one of them was a really nice day taking a trip to Capri. And this shot, of the three of the three generations of women in our family, taken with the RX1, is a shot I think we'll all treasure for a long long time...

View attachment 73257
Capri RX1-93-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Great shot Ray. Whenever I see the word Capri, I hear this song play in my head. Even for those who don't care for Sinatra have to at least appreciate the brilliant Billy May arrangements. The "Come Fly with Me" LP from '58 is a gem from front to back.....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MX8MN8ZaJ4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How could you not like Sinatra? I love the horns on that, alternating between sort of clean and innocent then kicked into gear by the drums to get bawdy and downright sleazy - thanks for that... And apologies for the horizon, but when it was straight, the women were really leaned over, so I had to make accommodation. But after your comment on that, I actually did pay a little bit of attention to trying to make the horizon level when possible, although I continue to pay NONE to whether it was in the middle of the shot!

-Ray

One of my customers says he thinks Sinatra sounds like a used car salesman....just shouting. I think perhaps this guy has only heard his stuff from the 60s which is to my ears...a little too much...trying too hard. His 50s LPs for Capitol are really the pinnacle of the genre for me.

I'm not too concerned about the rule of thirds stuff.....if the composition calls for it. And obviously crooked horizons don't matter with a shot like this.....I wasn't even aware there was a horizon in this shot. You're a lucky man, Ray, with these 3 beauties in your life.

I guess I can understand not liking pretty much anyone. But it would be pretty hard to deny the guy's greatness over time. Sort of like the Stones - lots of people don't particularly like them but to deny their greatness and influence over time would just be silly. And, yes, I'm a VERY fortunate man...

-Ray

Back