Micro 4/3 Severely let down by E-P3 IQ

I had an EP3 and a G1. I found it was ok, but not bad. That said, I sold it because I wanted better sensor performance. The latest Oly sensors and good glass is solid. While my Canon 5d3 is better for critical work, the gap now is less than one mig expect. Output size and medium starts to dictate my choices all else equal.

So I understand your situation. I was there. If funds allow, you may want to reboot with an EPL5 or EPM5 and one of the nice primes. Then see how you get on with it.

I posted this shot elsewhere earlier this evening, but I think it's a decent example of what the 12MP sensor could produce. This was the E-P2, not the E-P3. I did upgrade to the E-M5, and never looked back. The new sensor is certainly better, but the old one could give very good results.

Taking all the above into consideration, I took the beastie out in bright sunlight yesterday and got a couple of acceptable shots. Nothing startling, but good enough for a PAD on PBase. The camera is OK given adequate light and no challenges - i.e. when shot like a compact.

Considering the original price of the EP3, I expected better. I might try the new sensor, but at ~1000 € it'll be a while before the budget is there. Or sell this lot, add a few €€ and move to the Fuji X-E1.

Always loved mine. It's far more dependent obviously on the lens you use than the camera -- always.

These are the E-P3 and the panasonic 25mm f/1.4:

Base ISO:

8075859322_8fd2cec465_c.jpg

Kensington Flag Football: Two "Wolves" by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8075867145_bcdf24c551_c.jpg

Kensington Flag Football: Loosening Up by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

ISO 1250:

8075866353_68acf33d0e_c.jpg

Kensington Flag Football: Bad Day for Ducks by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And at ISO-2000:

8075866721_83fe7a4768_c.jpg

Kensington Flag Football: Strategy by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

No, not the best camera -- but I've printed 16x20" prints that I've sold using an E-P2 and it is the same sensor. If you are making images to be viewed for their content rather than tiny technical details these cameras still perform. I'm going to get my E-P1 out at some point and go shoot it just for the heck of it, lol.

it's funny that some complain about the noise in the E-P3 files and then Ray who is known for his gritty and noisy heavy processing comes in and shares these smooth, super clean files. Well played, Ray.

it's funny that some complain about the noise in the E-P3 files and then Ray who is known for his gritty and noisy heavy processing comes in and shares these smooth, super clean files. Well played, Ray.

I figured since that was the OP's original point, I should go for clean. If you look at the umbrella shot or the ballpark shot at 100%, there's plenty of noise and other little goodies. But why would you???

-Ray

Back