Fuji Second X-T2

merlin

All-Pro
Name
Merlin Emrys
WIth the X-T3 about to be announced, and rumored to be available in late September, I am wondering about replacing my X-T1 with another X-T2. I have no need of the new "features" of the X-T3, but clearly the X-T2 was a huge step forward from the X-T1.

Prices have already dropped by USD 500, and once the announcement is made for the X-T3, may drop even further. I much prefer new, or like new gear as opposed to used.

Opinions and suggestion appreciated!

I'm thinking somewhat along the same lines @merlin . I hope to be picking up a new body sometime in the next few months which would mean me choosing between X-T2, X-T3 and X-H1.

I've been veering more toward the X-T3 or X-H1 because I didn't think that the X-T2 was that much of a step from the X-T1. I'm not sure how much more the X-T2 prices will drop now - I picked up my X-T1 new around the time of the X-T2 announcement and I don't think that they dropped much in price after I got mine.

It is IBIS that tempts me towards the X-H1, but I am not convinced about having a larger body than my X-T1 already is (plus I have managed fairly well without IBIS up to now, so not sure that I really need it).

I think we are quite similar in lenses and what we take pictures of, so I'm interested to know what you would consider to be the main advantages of the X-T2 over the X-T1 for what you do.

Better resolution (8 more MGP), much improved EVF (I never use the LCD panel), colors truer to life, slightly better ergonomics and menus, incorporating copyright info so it does not have to be added afterwards, faster and more responsive AF. If I need to move the focus point, the joystick is useful. And if it moves inadvertently from slinging the camera behind my pack, pressing of the joystick returns it to center.

I have zero need for the bells-and-whistles of X-H1 and rumored X-T3. If I want video, I will use my video camera. I have no need for image stabilization, not in lenses and certainly not in camera bodies. And I certainly do not want a bulkier and heavier camera body!

I hadn't spotted the EVF improvements - I just looked at the overall resolution and magnification and missed the improved blackout etc.

Hmmm, now I am wondering if a bargain X-T2 might be a good idea.

I hadn't spotted the EVF improvements - I just looked at the overall resolution and magnification and missed the improved blackout etc.

I just placed it my B&H shopping cart. USD 500 discount, plus an extra third-party(Watson) battery, SD card (I would not use it, though, for this camera -- not fast enough), and a small backpack (might be useful for something else, since I already have a ThinkTank pack for the X-T1). I can sell my X-T1 for about USD 300 at KEH, so for USD 800 net it is VERY tempting!

It might very well be, Andy. And maybe you can snare one of those nice titanium-colored X-T2s. But if you decide to give the X-H1 a try, make sure you handle it yourself first - or order from a retailer with a liberal return policy. The X-H1 is very nice but the size, weight and balance are a bit different from the X-T1/2.

Thanks @Biro - I have had that advice a lot. I am pretty conservative when it comes to this sort of decision (I picked an X-T1 when I could have gone for the just released X-T2) so I am likely to stick with an X-Tx I think (in all likelihood an X-T2)

Just been reading a bunch of threads (from about this time last year) about focus problems in the X-T2 and X-T20. Some folks seem pretty upset about it (to the extent that I am not convinced it is real). Anyone here come across anything like that?

Just been reading a bunch of threads (from about this time last year) about focus problems in the X-T2 and X-T20. Some folks seem pretty upset about it (to the extent that I am not convinced it is real). Anyone here come across anything like that?

Not me. I had the X-T20 and traded it for the X-T2. Also, consider there have been (I think) two firmware updates since then that might have cured whatever some were going on about. Perhaps it was in a very specialized set of circumstances.

Not me. I had the X-T20 and traded it for the X-T2. Also, consider there have been (I think) two firmware updates since then that might have cured whatever some were going on about. Perhaps it was in a very specialized set of circumstances.
Good to hear. It was some very flamy DPR-type comments, so I was treating it with a pinch of salt. Some were suggesting that FW fixed it, whilst others were saying it was mechanical tolerance problems in the cameras themselves (so not capable of focusing to infinity). It reminded me of the shouting that went on when the Nikon D200 came out (I think that was banding on the sensor iirc, and did require people to work hard to make it happen so they could complain about Nikon).

I had the X-T2 for the first half of this year. My main event time. Never noticed any focusing issues. It just got better after the most recent firmware update. But was never bad. My dad shoots local musicians and comedians with the T2 every week in some pretty badly lit venues. He swears by it. To the point I'm not sure he's even looking at the T3. I've shot with the X-Pro2 in some of those same venues. Also with good results.

Just ordered another X-T2 from B&H a few minutes ago. In addition to the USD 500 discount, they also threw in a Sandisk 32GB Extreme PRO SDHC UHS-I Memory Card, extra third-party (Watson) battery, and holster-type pack. Due to arrive on Tuesday.

New X-T2 arrived early this morning. It was like experiencing the camera for the first time, but setup was very easy and straightforward having done all that with the older one. The most difficult part was getting the strap holders onto the lugs!

It is wonderful to have the 18-55 on one and the 90mm on the other. I can grab either -- or both -- at a moment's notice, depending on the situation.

Woo-hoo!!!

Back