Searching the woods for an old colonial era mill

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by entropic remnants, Mar 20, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Hall of Famer

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I found it -- not hard since you just have to follow the water, lol. The woods are tough at times but at least it is not summer and no bugs!

I also found out my boots are really waterproof. Here's the best of what I got -- mostly I got junk. I took only the Panasonic DMC-LX7 and a tripod.

Part of the old dam area. There used to be a wide dam making use of natural rock formations as well. Makes a nice little waterfall now. How good is it to have the built in easily selected ND filter in the LX7?

8575383271_3e0b5e4786_c.jpg
    Mill Hunt: Dam Ruins by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And then here's some of what's left of the mill. Horribly overgrown and in the middle of a swampy patch. Nasty smelling as well when you squitch in the mud...

8576479182_6bcea6fb7e_c.jpg
    Mill Hunt: What's Left of the Mill by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And finally a memorial not far from the road but I have no idea why it is there. It could be a pet grave, or maybe something happened up on the road.

8575382987_2592d3b9b8_c.jpg
    Mill Hunt: Memorial to an Unknown Victim by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. Azon

Azon Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Excellent!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
  4. snkenai

snkenai All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Love ramblin' in the woods, looking for old leftovers of a bygone time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Built-in ND filters are soooooo cool. After falling in love with the concept and execution of having one in the X100, I resent not having them in all cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeats

Yeats All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Fine shootin', John. I like all 3, but #1 is my favorite.

Great composition in #3, you aligned the cross perfectly with the trees in the background, so they echo the upper shape of the cross... clever! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks, Chris!

With regard to #3 -- I can only claim luck, a right brain wordlessly at work, and maybe the grace of God. I did not consciously set up that alignment with the trees! This happens in quite a few compositions where I am surprised when I look at it because I wasn't consciously thinking about trying to do something but it happened anyway, lol.

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wrangler

wrangler Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    Very nice, indeed!

10. snkenai

snkenai All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Love streams wandering through the woods and rocks.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Hall of Famer

Nov 8, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Great stuff. I love this sort of thing. Back east I used to go to a place called Dogtown near Gloucester MA, where there were remnants of an abandoned community -- foundtions, steps, etc. -- out in the middle of the woods. Loved it. Nice work.

Out here in New Mexico those roadside memorials are called descansos, and they usually commemorate some victim of a traffic fatality. They are very touching, but there are so many of them, it makes you wonder about driving on the local roads.