Screen capture from DSLR video goes mainstream

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
It's not the Red Epic (which shoots 5K RAW), but the Canon 1Dc manages to pull out usable images from its 4K Video.

Here are a bunch of photographers talking about working with the camera, also making prints.

With such astounding number of stills to choose from, the "decisive moment" is decided upon in post. It's not exactly romantic, but it gets the job done.

[video=vimeo;56241602]

The camera -

Canon Cinema EOS | Products: Camera-1DC

Can't wait for "light field" sensor tech to get incorporated in cameras like these. One could decide focus in post, or focus stack instead.

Then its bye bye to how its done now and we will need to gather a new set of skills.

Adobe is gearing up with video editing capabilities in PhotoShop (a first in CS6) and of course there's always Adobe Premier.

Hate it or love it, it should be here soon enough.

it's really just one step further than the spray and pray techniques I see some DSLR shooters using. I was on a photowalk with a guy once who had his Canon set-up to 7 fps burst mode and would rip off 7 frames (or more) even for static shots. I just couldn't see the point. But I guess it doesn't really matter. It's different ways of doing the same thing. It's not the workflow I would choose for myself. I like waiting for the moment.

I was on a photowalk with a guy once who had his Canon set-up to 7 fps burst mode and would rip off 7 frames (or more) even for static shots. I just couldn't see the point.

Yeah I agree, that's way overkill in that context.

But I can sort of understand the 'spray' technique up to a certain extent. For example, the Red camera (I bought one) has been changing the way studio fashion shoots are done, the interaction between the photographer and the model is changing, there is no 'start-stop' interaction between them, rather it's more like a film director directing the model who moves and reacts in a continuous flow. Some models say they're not used to this new way of modelling because they're used to the move-freeze-pose-move, and they're not hearing the 'click' of the shutter signalling another pose. Another application in the spray technique could work very well in the sports genre, for example.

As I understand it, Red is developing firmware to allow for a single frame shutter-style click with each press of the button so that the camera can be set up to function like a traditional DSLR for still photography. If that's the case, the Red camera will be a step closer to being a true modular DSMC where you can set it up to look like, and function like, a stills photography camera for one project, and re-configured to function like a digital filmmaking camera for a different project.

For someone like me who likes to dabble in both, that's a step closer to the perfect all-in-one camera. Personally speaking the new Leica M is my personal 'perfect' all-in-one camera, it seems they're taking the filmmaking function of the new Leica seriously. It will not produce anything close to the Red camera filmmaking capabilities but for me personally, I could have a rangefinder camera (which I love) plus a halfway decent filmmaking camera in a small package that I can carry everywhere with me.

Back