Sony Savannah!

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I spent a couple days in Savannah, GA last week and it quickly revealed itself as one of the handful (maybe two hands full) of most beautiful cities I've seen. It was my first time there but I'll be back. Next, since we're spending time in the South this winter, I'll have to check out Charleston, SC, which I understand is equally nice but in a different way. Anyhow, this is exactly the kind of light travel I wanted the new RX1for. The first RX1 excelled for this type of thing, but it wasn't as good a street camera (for how I shoot, at least) as the new one. I shot a mix of urban scenery and street and ONLY used the RX1R II. I had my DF and a few lenses available (and used them extensively to shoot my little grandnieces in Atlanta over the weekend) but never touched anything but the RX1RII in Savannah... Here's a sampling of shots, with the full album available here:

Savannah

32450709336_46a80c84a0_h.jpg
Savannah-156-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

The historic part of the city is laid out around 21 public squares, most of which are beautiful, all of which are at least very nice. Makes for a wonderfully walkable city.

32113078320_9f222b91c7_h.jpg
Savannah-197-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Forsythe Park is the big central park just at the southend of the historic district and is known for this fountain and the Live Oak trees dripping with Spanish Moss, which is really a signature of the whole city.

32370714261_6b9c1a34bd_h.jpg
Savannah-133-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

31648475314_9536065a27_h.jpg
Savannah-143-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Many of the streets and homes are just too pretty to believe:

31688158843_88fcd361bc_h.jpg
Savannah-187-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

32450433176_9db013b997_h.jpg
Savannah-205-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

A few street shots to follow in next post...

-Ray

Some street shots from Savannah:

I don't think this beautiful old phone booth gets much action anymore:

32121806040_6e17aee7cc_b.jpg
Savannah-27-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

I saw this very nicely quaffed gentleman in front of this Barber Shop several times and he didn't work there. They may pay him to hang out as a shining example of their work?? This was one shot where I'd wished I'd had my favored street focal length of 24mm - I'd have likely been able to straighten the shot without having to behead this poor gentleman, but with the RX1's 35, I had to leave him leaning...

32121648770_d72c4b6cf1_b.jpg
Savannah-48-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

31688315443_3003766382_b.jpg
Savannah-295-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

32122377220_93b93ce45e_b.jpg
Savannah-281-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

I always kind of wondered where mermaids when on their days off - now I know!

32459959316_9cdeeb2b5b_b.jpg
Savannah-333-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Lots of great restaurants and coffee shops with sidewalk seating. And the weather was in the 70's, so very useable even in January!

32122566900_2efae602f0_b.jpg
Savannah-103-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

31689456163_9182d58154_b.jpg
Savannah-327-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

The first thing that strikes me, Ray....is how smooth the shots look. Creamy smooth with great detail. Re the red London phone box. Most of them here stink of urine and cigarette smoke; an intoxicating combination!

The first thing that strikes me, Ray....is how smooth the shots look. Creamy smooth with great detail. Re the red London phone box. Most of them here stink of urine and cigarette smoke; an intoxicating combination!
That look was a hallmark of the original RX1 and seems to be with the new one too. The files are simply amazing to work with - they tempt you to go too far because they can take it (within limits - the street shot of the old guy walking with the cane was badly underexposed and my attempts to revive it found the limits of what was there).

As for the phone booth, it's hard to find a full phone booth in the States anymore, there are still a few around, but they seem to be the kind that let you duck your head in but not much else. Still, they mostly seem to be used for urine and cigarettes (and graffiti) here too...

-Ray

my wife and I spent a few hours wandering around Savannah to break up a road trip to Florida a few years back. We were seduced by the beauty of the town. Although I kinda felt this creepy "old South" vibe like the beauty of the whole city was built upon the labor of the slaves. Still, we want to go there and spend a few days and get to know the place better.

I hear that Luke. I'm not a southerner, either culturally, politically, or religiously. There are lots of appealing things about the south, but I'm not sure I could live there. Which is no doubt more of a reflection on me than on the south! But that Old South vibe is true in Maryland, Virginia, and DC as well - the White House was built by slaves after all. So I can easily get past that as a visitor. And if it helps your perception, the Democratic candidate has won Savannah (Chatham County) by between 12 and 20 points in each of the last three elections. I don't know your politics and don't need to, but that tells me the mentality in Savannah isn't old south any longer, assuming it was at one time.

In any case, I spent my career as a town planner and, in that context, Savannah is sort of a mecca. Those 21 squares didn't happen by accident and they've had their desired effect. They almost lost the historic district to poverty and blight in the middle of the last century, but it came back and is very expensive these days - some urban designs just seem to have staying power...

-Ray

Great shots as usual, Ray! I particularly like the smooth tones of the B&W images. It's been a while since I was last in Savannah, but I've spent lots of time in recent years in New Orleans, a disorderly and less sanitized, but equally beautiful, member of the subset of American cities that includes Savannah and Charleston (and those three cities may complete that subset). Like you, I find my RX1 to be the perfect tool in that environment. As for the politics of the South, they are not so different from the rest of the country: commonly, urban areas and university towns tend to be progressive/liberal, while other areas are . . . something else.

Thanks Chris. And, yeah, New Orleans is the one major American city I've never really spent time in and would like to, crazy as it can be. Someday, but I think the size of Charleston and Savannah are more my speed at this point in my life - 30 years ago I'd have loved New Orleans more I think. And you're absolutely right - our political divide is more urban/rural than regional, although it plays out regionally I guess just based on the relative proportions of urban and rural in different parts of the country.

-Ray

As a displaced New Englander, I've come to appreciate the feel of Southern cities. Although all cities are tied to their pasts, you have to judge them by what they are in the present. There are still the parts where the tourists go and the parts where you don't venture after dark. What I have come to appreciate is that in many places people are trying to create better and more inclusive communities and there is hope to accompany a darker past and its remaining influence.

Wonderful set of photos.
I have used the Rx1 for a few years then sadly sold it
Hoping for a Rx1r2.

I was curious as to your opinion about the rendering of the RX1r2 vs the much glamorized in my mind Rx1.
Or any other ideas about the two.
I been considering rebuying the RX1, or grabbing the newer version of the Rx1r2 or waiting for rumors of the 3rd version, as theres just nothing else that appeals to my eye.

I am starting to think the mark 2 has actually lost the original secret sauce flavor, abit.

Last edited:
Back