Pentax Sand Dunes with the 7-14

Stan

Regular
Name
Stan
I sent a mule train back to the east with $ and treats, and a few days later I got hold of a Panny 7-14, which had been used for lots of great image. Now the lens has to make do with the wild, dry west :) The poor lens didn't know what it was in for...

EPM2 and 7-14 (I had the 35-100 on the GH3), Raw, LR5. Oeano Dunes Preserve in Central Coast, CA. 14mm equivalent is a challenge, but a fun one! I also found a use for the tilting feature of Oly EVFs... 7mm, Dunes, bright CA sun, lots of sand and wind...

OSD 1.jpg

OSD 2.jpg

OSD 3.jpg

OSD 5.jpg

OSD 4.jpg

I knew this was gonna be you before I even clicked on the thread. Great stuff, as usual Stan. You've done those dunes with the 9-18, no? But I don't ever remember you getting so low to show the details and texture in the near foreground. And 7 is just plain wider than 9. Are you getting any of the purple flare issues shooting with that lens on an Oly body? Or are you just avoiding shooting into the sun or other bright lights?

-Ray

I knew this was gonna be you before I even clicked on the thread. Great stuff, as usual Stan. You've done those dunes with the 9-18, no? But I don't ever remember you getting so low to show the details and texture in the near foreground. And 7 is just plain wider than 9. Are you getting any of the purple flare issues shooting with that lens on an Oly body? Or are you just avoiding shooting into the sun or other bright lights?

-Ray

Hey Ray! Yes, I used the 9-18 here in the past when I owned a copy. Recently I've been mainly using 35mm equivalent at the dunes, and decided to mix it up. 7mm really invites getting low and close to these rolling dunes. Fun!

I had my back to the sun on most of the images. For the ones where the sun is to the side I found I could position my hand to shade the front element without my hand getting into the image frame. This seems to work fine for the sun off to the side. If there were bright strong spots within the frame the trick obviously wouldn't work. But then I can switch to a Panny body.

Back