Samsung Samsung NX Mini Announced

Amin

Hall of Famer
13261986803_def28d1db6_o.jpg

Samsung has announced the NX Mini, a small and slim interchangeable-lens camera with the following features:
  • New mount, smaller than current NX mount
  • New 1" sensor (2.7X crop, 20.5MP, BSI-CMOS)
  • Electronic shutter, top shutter speed of 1/16,000

The NX mini is being marketed specifically at selfie-shooters (wink-activated shutter release) and is packed with tech features such as NFC transfer and even the ability to serve as a networked baby monitor.

Two lenses are planned for launch, a 9-27mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS standard zoom (equivalent to 24-73mm), and a 9mm f/3.5 wide angle pancake (equivalent to 24mm)
A 17mm f/1.8 OIS lens (equivalent to 45mm) will be released this summer, along with an adapter for NX lenses.

13262163494_7fdc3443a7_o.jpg

13261952573_a76296eece_o.jpg

…to be honest - though I know folks who know me are going to think I'm just playing provocateur - but the ubiquity of larger sensor compacts - esp. for "selfie-shooters" - really makes me want to get more into really small sensor compacts. I bought into a 1/1.7" recently but maybe it's time for a 1/2.5"….it really does prove that it is all about the photographer now doesn't it? I mean look at the magic BB has been doing with her iPhones!

How nice. Finally a camera for giggly schoolgirls to go along with their lipstick.

[video=youtube;SjhTcNGbZH0]

Nice find Rajiv.(y) That seals it! I'm old, crusty, unhip and proud of it. Now definitely firmly pitching my tent on the other side of the park to the Samsung Smart NX camera beautiful people, shiny gadget, camp. :vomit:

It's a very Samsung product - clever but odd. Do people who take selfies really care about having IC lenses? And will people pay $550 to take better selfies? Or maybe they are willing to pay for all the electronic bells and whistles.

As an old curmudgeon I look at this as a camera and don't understand it. Maybe the target audience of giggling privileged kids view it as just another item of electronica. Since the same are already willing to spend many hundreds of dollars on a mobile phone perhaps 550 on this doesn't seem excessive.

It's a very Samsung product - clever but odd. Do people who take selfies really care about having IC lenses? And will people pay $550 to take better selfies? Or maybe they are willing to pay for all the electronic bells and whistles.

As an old curmudgeon I look at this as a camera and don't understand it. Maybe the target audience of giggling privileged kids view it as just another item of electronica. Since the same are already willing to spend many hundreds of dollars on a mobile phone perhaps 550 on this doesn't seem excessive.
Price at this demographic is probably not a factor. Won't Daddy willingly/knowingly, or otherwise, buy it for them?

I assume Samsung is playing on the social media aspect (obvious) and then the NFC connects young folks. Shazzam we are on FaceSpace together. Very clever.

Love to sit in on one of these Exec meetings at gadget makers like Samsung or Sony.
"Right guys it's all about convergent technologies - yep our phones take photos and browse the internet and send emails and…"
Our S4 sales are healthy, but we need to not lose sight of moving our tablets and our cameras and…
Head of Marketing over to you"

[OLD MAN RANT MODE ON]
These crazy gadgeteers. Their engineers will make anything, and their marketers will make anyone want anything.
We now buy water…BUY WATER and men are concerned about a three-step beauty routine :hmmm:
[OLD MAN RANT MODE OFF]

Maybe Serious Compacts needs an Old Curmudgeon Corner…like a virtual Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Women (shows that I know air in we have in AUS and the UK...)

Why do people get bothered by cameras not aimed at them? I don't like it either; I prefer more manual controls - but what is wrong if somebody actually likes it?

As I shoot in manual mode, I find the EXP compensation button completely redundant, but why would I bother other people that use it?

The only problem I see is if someone feels obliged to buy EVERY new camera that comes out :)

Maybe Apple should make an iPhone with an LCD screen that flips 180 degrees like that so people can frame their selfies better. Wouldn't that be a :nutkick0: to Samsung?
Apple may create it but Samsung will recreate it.
R&D must be a dicey investment nowadays...

Why do people get bothered by cameras not aimed at them? I don't like it either; I prefer more manual controls - but what is wrong if somebody actually likes it?

As I shoot in manual mode, I find the EXP compensation button completely redundant, but why would I bother other people that use it?

The only problem I see is if someone feels obliged to buy EVERY new camera that comes out :)
I usually agree, but no regulars on here are going to take this camera seriously, so much like those spammer posts this is ripe for ridicule. Good fun.

Back