Sony RX100 mk. III - satisfy my curiosity

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
- Is the handling acceptable?
- Is it readily controllable without menu-diving all the time?
- Has it a built-in raw converter a lá Fuji and Ricoh?
- Can I preset a favourite focal length, eg 50mm?
- Is the EVF usable?
- Has it dioptre correction?
- What are the SooC jpgs like?
- Is it a good bet for mono?
- Does it have built-in mono filters?

I can get one at a decent price and I am seeking reasons not to...

I don't believe Sony does built-in raw converters, unfortunately...
Pretty sure they have mono filters, just don't know if they're as good as ricoh for instance.
The rest I can't answer.

Yes, I use it with the Sony grip installed. I prefer it to the other third party ones.

Yes, there is a quick menu (fn button) which I used a lot when I shot eg nd filter (on, off, auto), ISO change, etc. There is also "C" button to program, which I have it for iso.

I don't think so.

I didn't see it in the menu. I think Canon g7x has it, remembering the last focal length when you open the camera.

- Is the EVF usable?
Yes, better then gm5. However my eyeglass pushes the back, then it gets blurry. This is normally for packing purposes, you need to pull the back the back of it to use it or push to put it back.

I was trying to see if I can make the evf fixed as it is and it was the dioptre correction.

Some of these are direct jpgs (maybe with some light editing), raw are 1st, 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th:
Spring in NYC
Anything that starts with w-DSC in the first 11 row are RX100 original jpg's:
Istanbul Streets by Serhan

I have not used directly. These are from edited in LR:
A Foggy Day...

It has creative style with sepia and B&W as a choice that can be used with the raw. There are other filters that cannot be useable with raw. I never used any of them.

:) The sensor is close to m43 sensors like gm1/gm5... Only difference is lens is fixed. m43 is better with the primes, but otherwise close enough to small kit lenses except distortion correction that is higher with RX100. The lens is pretty much f2.8 zoom all the way except the widest setting.

Last edited:
If the price is truly good, I suggest picking one up (you can always sell it pretty quickly if it's priced right). My answers to your questions would almost universally be in the negative compared to serhans (and frankly his opinions are well-informed from actual use). But I still enjoyed the camera (albeit mk.1) in some ways when I had it.

But the handling is VERY subjective.... I think it was worse than a bar of soap. And the IQ (I thought) was closer to a cel phone than to m43.

I just think the 1 inch sensors are where people's opinions REALLY differ the most. For some, they are the ultimate trade-off....and for me, it was like.....I don't want a smaller camera if the pictures and shooting experience aren't as good.

Knowing how you feel about viewfinder (or at least how I think you feel about them based on reading your thoughts for a few years), I doubt you will be happy with a wee Sony viewfinder when you are coming from Leica OVF and ginormous Fuji EVFs, but maybe you're willing to accept less in a camera that you can stick in your suit pocket.

If you want to go small, just use your Minox. That's my 2 shillings

I had one here for a couple days and despite the great IQ, even in low-light that snapper, especially the handling left me cold. Among other personal preferences I missed a real manual zoom ring and would pick an X10 or X20 over the Sony any day of the week but then that's just me - YMMV. If you can get one for a good price you could check it out for a while and sell it later on if it's not your thing. Just my 2...

Last edited:
Serhan's reply above covers most of it, but I'd just add that the lens can be pre-set to the preferred focal length when using the custom settings. If the dial is set to the custom position when the camera is turned on, it will automatically go straight to the chosen focal length. (caveat: I'm presuming that the MkIII behaves in the same way as the MkI in this regard - however, I can't imagine that Sony would have removed this feature from later models).

Also, the handling is vastly improved by using the lower half of the OEM case.

Thanks all. You've helped me make up my mind. It's clearly not for me; in fact it sounds like it would be a significant downgrade in a number of key respects from my current cameras that fill the niche - the Fuji X20 and the Ricoh GR.

I had the RX100 for a little while and have played around with all three at one point or another.

It can be, but the grip is a big help. The zoom by wire was one thing that bothered me with handling as others mentioned.​

For me, Yes. For you? I try and take a good look at the settings I normally use and map out what function buttons, quick menus I'm going set. With the original RX100 I had I was able to get everything I needed and then some.​

- Is the EVF usable?

When I tried it out, it seemed more like a backup to the screen than anything. But it would beat not having one. Unfortunately it's also the source of one of the things I just don't understand about the camera. Close the finder and the camera shuts off? Start up isn't that bad and if the finder were something I thought I would always use than I guess this would be a simple way to power on and off the camera. But it would be better if it were selectable.​

Yes​

Not sure on the rest.

If it's a really decent price and you have the funds available then it might be worth a try. A really good price to me means one that I'm sure I could get back on resale if I find I don't like it. That was the case with my RX100. I tried it for a little while and sold it. I think I made $5-$10 when all was said and done after I added an external charger and the Sony grip.

Back