Sony Showcase Rx100 images

When I bought the Coolpx A on Wednesday, I also bought the RX100 - some redundancy yes, but quite different strengths. On my way to an appointment in Hong Kong today, the sun was high and beating down hard. A lot of people out and about with umbrellas (common here in summer to protect against the intense sun). I quickly realised one shortcoming in the RX100 (or more to the point - lack of EVF or OVF - both to be overcome with the new version's hotshoe - and in part by the articulated screen) - in intense sun, you cannot see what you are shooting!!

So I decided to do something I wouldn't do with another camera - "shoot from the hip". I walked along and guess the framing. Camera set up as best I could for this. I got nothing great today, but some okay "street" shots. With the camera in one hand (trying to keep it level and where I wanted it, while taking the shots single-handed). I set it to 1/400 in shutter priority and let the camera decide ISO and Aperture...

girl with balloon.jpg
hot day shopping.jpg
dried food vendor.jpg
umbrellas.jpg

When I bought the Coolpx A on Wednesday, I also bought the RX100 - some redundancy yes, but quite different strengths. On my way to an appointment in Hong Kong today, the sun was high and beating down hard. A lot of people out and about with umbrellas (common here in summer to protect against the intense sun). I quickly realised one shortcoming in the RX100 (or more to the point - lack of EVF or OVF - both to be overcome with the new version's hotshoe - and in part by the articulated screen) - in intense sun, you cannot see what you are shooting!!

I was using it in very bright sun a few days ago and was having a hard time using the screen - I set the screen the "sunny weather" (full brightness) and was able to use the screen adequately, although battery life goes down a little. I could also change my grip to use one or the other hand as a sort of sun shield. Overall, probably not perfect, but an acceptable workaround for a camera that fits in my shirt pocket. (y)

I was using it in very bright sun a few days ago and was having a hard time using the screen - I set the screen the "sunny weather" (full brightness) and was able to use the screen adequately, although battery life goes down a little. I could also change my grip to use one or the other hand as a sort of sun shield. Overall, probably not perfect, but an acceptable workaround for a camera that fits in my shirt pocket. (y)

I agree - I was actually quite surprised at how well that setting works in bright sunshine... though, nowhere near as surprised as I was to encounter bright sunshine in the UK! ;):D

As you say, there is a discernible battery-charge penalty, but of course, that simply means bringing along enough charged spare batteries.

I was using the "sunny weather" setting again today. I am completely in a divided mind on this. I like viewfinders: they solve this problem and having the camera braced on your forehead makes for a steadier grip. However, the viewfinder also means that the camera is no longer shirt-pocketable, which means it's a lot less likely to be on you when you have one of those passing moments for a quick but ultimately memorable photo. I used an LX5 with the EVF/LVF and really loved using it that way but when I sold it I found I had less than 400 exposures on the camera...I am amazed at how easy the RX100 is to have with you almost all the time... Anyway, this setting isn't perfect but we all know that perfection just doesn't exist. :)

Good points, jnewell, and the most important being that one about perfection.:th_salute: Perfection is often in the eye of the beholder, until the newness begins to wear... I still love my "old" Xs, as in Fuji X cameras.;)

By the way, I am still on my original battery charge and I see the frame count is 337! Most of that is with the LCD panel set to "sunny weather" and a huge amount of pre-focusing before and between frames. The battery is showing 1/3 segment. I'm going to run it till it quits just for the sake of curiosity. (I have a spare battery charged and waiting, so no worries about losing the camera due to battery charging.)

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the sunny weather option. Some of my shots were taken in intense midday sun - 35+ degrees celcius, and lots of people carrying umbrellas to fend off the sun! Suddenly I realise the value of an OVF/EVF (vII will solve that), as I simply couldn't see. I shot mainly "from the hip" as they say, but that did help me get quite a bit without being noticed that much. The RX100 is quite an invisible camera, and when it isn't people are going to feel too threatened by it.

Yesterday double rainbow after the storms at the shopping center, first 2 are pano shots and the last one captured before the battery died:

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

I've used RX100 pano for a number of things. Tried it on this rainbow in Montreal, but I caught the strrrrrrrrrrrreeetttttch limo in the picture.

20121020-DSC02464-L.jpg

I really enjoyed those photos... Whenever I read about new cameras and see interesting pictures, I start wanting one...a new camera. Even though I keep thinking I want an interchangeable lens, I do really truly like the idea of a truly small but highly competent camera.

This is almost exactly where I am at. I thought the GR was that (and it would be...) but does one need yet another camera with a massive sensor? Probably not. The RX100 is a huge temptation. And, its small. Something my XZ is not.

The photographs in this thread are just incredible (those rainbows, guys... ohmyyy! Just lovely)... and the more I look, the more I want.

For what it's worth, and this is incredibly subjective and personal, size matters. I took an RX100 and an LX7 on a six-day long weekend for July 4th. I took over 400 photos with the RX100, not one with the LX7. The RX100 isn't much smaller, but it's just enough to make all the difference in the world. YMMV!

Back