Sony RX1 - Using D Range Optimizer in RAW

Muizen

Regular
Name
Harry Briels
So far I never used the D range Optimizer function because, always shooting in RAW, I thought that this can only be used when in Jpeg.
But I noticed in the RX1 (lousy) User Manual that it can be used when shooting in RAW.
I wonder how useful this D Range Optimizing is in RAW?
Harry

Regrettably nobody seems to be interested in this DRO Range subject?
I did some testing in the meantime, which I really should have done in the first place, before opening this thread.

From this I get the impression that in RAW there seems to be no impact of applying DRO Auto or DRO LV 1...5.
Histograms in Lightroom of shots in RAW, with or without DRO, do not show any differences.
I
Harry

that woulda been my guess...raw means raw, no?

dont mean to be flippant, but that kinda stuff is for jpegs, right?

Usually, but sometimes it affects the raw files too. Fuji, for example, uses a combination of jacking the ISO and under-exposing and then pushing the processing to get the jpegs right using their DR options. Or something like that - I don't recall exactly what they do other than jack the ISO up. But if you shoot raw and don't turn that function off it'll still jack the ISO and under-expose the shot and then it's up to you to bring it back together in processing. IIRC, the Ricoh DRO function has some impact on exposure regardless of raw or jpeg too.

And you can't really trust that raw is raw anyway - look at how many camera makers are baking NR into their raw files - again Fuji is a good example. Which is part of why their "unprocessed" ISO 6400 shots look so clean and impress so many people - there's NR in there already. Fortunately, their NR algorithms seem to be REALLY good so I give them credit, but they definitely cook their raw files...

-Ray

Back