Sony RX1 User's entry UK Mountain Photo Comp 2015

atrendall

Regular
Two of my photos have been shortlisted for the Trail Magazine's UK Mountain Photo of The Year 2014.

Below is one taken with a RX1, probably my favourite camera/lens of all time. It's small size and compact nature means it goes everywhere with me in a small Kata neoprene pouch which hangs round my neck or can be clipped to my rucksack, climbing harness etc. It is well made and e extremely robust and has survived a lot of abuse including knocks and drops, rain and snow which are well outside it's specifications. A built in viewfinder would be nice especially in bright sunlight and improved battery life would be good but otherwise it is the perfect camera for me.

The photo was taken at the end of day one of a two day traverse of the Cuillin Ridge and hopefully portrays some of beauty of a late evening high in the mountains combined with the pressure of finding a level place to sleep as night rapidly approaches.
cuillin-jpg.46018

If you are interested in the competition see the link below to view the finalists;

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/L...ain-Photo-of-the-Year-2015-choose-the-winner/

Seems like there are some great entries.

Thanks, Jock. Much appreciated. I love my RX1 and am sure you improve your chance of getting better photos with gear you are happy with. One focal length, simple controls, small camera. Perfect.

Great photos. The RX1 is more versatile than you would think. I recently spent a few days hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and decided to carry only my RX1. I expected to regret my decision at times, but as it turned out, I never felt that I needed any other camera/focal length. Now I'm off to Tulum, Mexico, for a week, and again will bring only the RX1. This is trite, but I'll say it anyway: it's liberating to carry a single, compact, fixed-lens camera, especially one with the IQ of the RX1.

Totally agree about the liberating aspect of a single, compact fixed lens camera and think it removes a lot of thinking about which lens to use and actually adds to creativity since you have to think much more about each shot, angles etc. I love it and would be quite happy to have a fixed 35mm focal length lens on a compact camera as my only piece of photographic equipment.

Back