Sony RX1 - Histogram doesn't reflect exposure adjustments

Muizen

Regular
Name
Harry Briels
I noticed that when shooting my RX1 (in M-Mode) that neither the larger histogram nor the small one (in the right lower corner of the LCD) really reflects the exposure adjustments I make in preparation of shooting

When I like to "expose to the right" and therefore increase exposure, these increases are not really visible in either histogram: the histograms do not really change at all.
Changing between Auto ISO and fixed ISO values doesn't make much of a difference.

So far when during exposure the histogram indicates that exposure e.g. is too much to the left, I can not use the histogram to follow the effect of gradual exposure increases until clippings may occur.

What mistake do I make?

When I have the histogram showing in the LCD and I move the exposure compensation dial to the right or the left, I see a corresponding movement of the histogram. And when I'm in manual mode (and manual ISO), when I turn the aperture ring or shutter speed dial, I see corresponding movement of the histogram. Or if I'm in manual mode with auto-ISO, the shutter speed and aperture ring won't do it (because the ISO just compensates for the movements), but back to the exposure compensation dial and there moves the histogram again. So, I guess my question, which of these things AREN'T you doing?

-Ray

Histogram doesn't seem to function

When I have the histogram showing in the LCD and I move the exposure compensation dial to the right or the left, I see a corresponding movement of the histogram. And when I'm in manual mode (and manual ISO), when I turn the aperture ring or shutter speed dial, I see corresponding movement of the histogram. Or if I'm in manual mode with auto-ISO, the shutter speed and aperture ring won't do it (because the ISO just compensates for the movements), but back to the exposure compensation dial and there moves the histogram again. So, I guess my question, which of these things AREN'T you doing?

-Ray
I checked all settings in all modes PASM with auto ISO or in a manual ISO value, there is no visible effect on such settings on the histogram as this shows on the LCD.
Moving the exposure compensation dial does not show any effect either.
Only when I move the camera to point at lower or higher lights the histogram changes accordingly.
Harry

Ray, I also considered a possible setting that might cause this histogram problem. But could not identify one.
I will go to my Sony dealer and bring the camera back. Simulthaneously Sony can then have a look at the diagram that doesn't seem to be properly centered?
Thanks for your help!
Harry

I noticed that when shooting my RX1 (in M-Mode) that neither the larger histogram nor the small one (in the right lower corner of the LCD) really reflects the exposure adjustments I make in preparation of shooting

When I like to "expose to the right" and therefore increase exposure, these increases are not really visible in either histogram: the histograms do not really change at all.

I had that problem with the Panny GF1 when I had it a few years ago. It showed that you had made an adjustment (the histogram turned yellow I think), but it didn't reflect the changes that you made. It frustrated me and was one of the reasons that I got rid of what was in many ways an excellent camera. I think it was something to do with the firmware. I don't know whether its the same with the RX1.

Andrew

Either there's some setting you're not accounting for (but I don't know what it would be) or it sounds like a faulty unit? Have you contacted Sony?
-Ray

I just went to my Sony dealer who insists that any adjustment of exposure by whatever means (SS, A, EC), e.g. to expose to the right, will not be visible in the histogram until after having taken the shot.
I didn't agree to that because what would be the purpose of showing a histogram in preparation of a shot without be able to see in that histogram, what the effect of exposure adjustments will have.
I just wonder about one thing: I have set AF/MF to the C-button and therefore only the measurement of light is now controlled by the shutter knob. However I can't see how that could result in a histogram not showing exposure adjustments before exposing the shot?

By the way I also noticed that the diagram center opening is not really centrally in the lens opening. I asked Sony to check this.
Is this something you heard about before?
Thanks for helping me!
Harry

Well, mine must be busted then, because my histogram changes with exposure adjustments. As it seems it should on any camera that bothers to provide a histogram prior to the shot. This is all happening before I half press - obviously once you lock everything down with a half-press it shouldn't move. But my histogram reacts rather directly as I change the Exposure Comp setting. How accurate it is I don't know, but it moves and in the direction you'd expect.

-Ray

and you're 100% sure that you don't have ISO set to auto? If you're absolutely positive you have 3 parameters of exposure (ISO, shutter speed and f/ stop) all set to specific numbers and none on auto and the exposure compensation dial effects aren't displayed on the histogram, there is something wrong with the camera. Period. There's NO difference between -2 and +2? Are you testing in a light controlled environment? I'd return it for another.

Luke, I tried whether de histogram adjusts to exposure changes in PASM-modes and in auto ISO and in manual set ISO.
But it doesn't change.
Only after taken a shot does the histogram of the image renew itself to reflect adjusted exposure.

Also strange in my view that the center point of the aperture blades is outside the center of the lens.
Have you learned that this happens more in the RX1?
Harry

the second part of your question I don't understand. If you have a second camera, i would make a video of the histogram not changing and send it to someone at Sony and ask them if that is correct functioning.

I can change my histogram in manual and auto modes. I can't imaging why your histogram is stuck as it would be controlled by the firmware and I can't imagine you having a different version.

the second part of your question I don't understand. If you have a second camera, i would make a video of the histogram not changing and send it to someone at Sony and ask them if that is correct functioning.

Luke, I should have asked about the asymmetry of the aperture blades, which I noticed, in a separate thread.
But to explain here further: the center point of the aperture blades when at Fl. 22,0 is outside the center of the lens. When the lens is open Fl. 2.0 part of the blades are still visible while the rest doesn't show.

My RX1 is now at Sony for review of the problems.

I just learned that when - Image Live View - is set "off" the histogram doesn't function anymore.
I put it on again and problem is solved!
It is a pity that Sony combines such a fantastic camera with a lousy poor user manual that is of little use!
Harry

Back