Sony RX1 blown reds...

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Does anyone else have this issue where reds are blown?
rosey-2.jpg

I usually have to lower the red saturation and luminance to get anything natural.
on a related note, color balance always seems off, favoring yellow/green. Coming from an M9, I've had limited success replicating the deep, accurate colors of the Leica. Are there any profiles available that work with LR5?

Sony sensors -- and many others -- do this. All my Nikon's struggled with this.

If you are shooting jpg, reduce exposure slightly -- experiment. Also consider dropping from a "vibrant" setting to flatter representations.

If you are shooting RAW, verify they aren't blown in the raw data and reduce the saturation slightly in post.

This is not unique or a flaw in your camera -- it's a typical limitation of extremely saturated colors in many digital cameras.

Thanks John, I am in RAW, I'll probably set up a custom profile, I already have one that reduces the yellow-both saturation and luminance while boosting the green saturation slightly. Perhaps I'll add the reduced S & L in the red channel as well.

my Oly is a JOKE compared to that. I want to smash it sometimes. We can land a man on moon, but we can't get a multi-thousand dollar camera that can capture the color red. It makes me sick. Camera engineers should hang their heads in shame.

Sony sensors -- and many others -- do this. All my Nikon's struggled with this.

If you are shooting jpg, reduce exposure slightly -- experiment. Also consider dropping from a "vibrant" setting to flatter representations.

If you are shooting RAW, verify they aren't blown in the raw data and reduce the saturation slightly in post.

This is not unique or a flaw in your camera -- it's a typical limitation of extremely saturated colors in many digital cameras.

+1 on Sony sensors and the colour red. So far I have found Canon and Samsung sensors to be better at handling reds.

Back