Sony RX-1 Best Metering Mode?

Muizen

Regular
Name
Harry Briels
From my experience using the RX1 during several weeks I have the impression that under most light conditions, a good metering mode is Center?
It certainly will depend on the light conditions, but this is what I feel in general.

I also like when precise metering is required the Spot Metering Mode.

What is your experience and advise?

I posted this question also on another RX1 Forum but so far without any advise

I like the multi metering mode personally, I find it to be extremely accurate in most conditions. I use M mode + Auto-ISO and exposure compensation when I need to fine tune.

If you have a difficult or specific use case then spot metering is very useful, such as if you're trying to expose for a backlit subject or similar.

I like the multi metering mode personally, I find it to be extremely accurate in most conditions. I use M mode + Auto-ISO and exposure compensation when I need to fine tune.
If you have a difficult or specific use case then spot metering is very useful, such as if you're trying to expose for a backlit subject or similar.

I already answered this but one way or another, my answer got lost, so here again:
I did a series of tests, whereby I shot, on tripod, in AF/S, a brick wall in full sun, with all possible combinations of Metering Modes and Focus Area (in total 9). I have to agree with jloden that the best metering mode seems to be "Multi metering". This based on the image quality and histograms in LR 4.
As far as the combination with the three options for the Focus areas is concerned, the one I like the most is "AF Area Flex Spot" combined with "Multi Metering". But this certainly is kind of subjective.
What a great pleasure this little RX1 is, even after many years of Leica, lately with the M9.
Thank you all for your input!
Harry

Back