Sony Rumors of a next RX100??

Honestly I'd say build in ND, better macro. But I'd like to really see Sony build a Coolpix A rival RX10 with a Zeiss 35mm or 28mm

I don't see Sony putting out a compact fixed lens APS-C sensor camera any time soon. Too much competition with the NEX. A NEX with a pancake is not much larger than the Coolpix A. I seem them focusing on the RX line with FF and 1" sensors for mirrorless compact fixed lens offerings.

And I think their strategy is better than Nikon's...

It's easier to make fast glass for smaller sensors since the glass is smaller as well.

Understood - as I said, its all about tradeoffs... Sony wanted to put a relatively large sensor in a remarkably small body with a reasonably bright lens but at some point they ran into physics. In order to make REALLY bright lenses that stay REALLY sharp throughout the frame in a camera with a much SMALLER sensor, Olympus and Panasonic had to use slightly larger bodies and notably larger lenses. Sony didn't want to compromise on body or lens or sensor SIZE, so they compromised quite a bit on lens brightness and sharpness instead. And external controls, but that's a different conversation, or a different part of this one. Tradeoffs tradeoffs tradeoffs...

-Ray

Argh. Yes, I missed that one.

OK, two things I'd love to see, and this is all I would need:
  • Faster at the long end. Doesn't even need more zoom, just f/3.5 or 2.8 (if possible)
  • Faster shutter speed (1/4000) and/or ND filter

I would take better macro, but not if it in any way compromised the current image quality, speed of the lens or zoom range.

I agree with these adjustments the RX100.

At it's current size and proportions the RX100 is never going to appeal to me so I wouldn't comment about what it's replacement should be. I just think that Sony could make more use out of the 1" sensor. Put it in a body one size up with a decent grip, better controls, a faster and/or longer reach lens and you'd go a long way towards having a very decent camera.

I also agree with this take (except the part about current RX100 not being appealing). I'm guessing that faster/longer glass = bigger camera. I'm OK with that. Grip is easy to do. More controls would be as well, though this is Sony we're talking about. Basically I want a Fuji X10 with Sony 1" sensor and the best that both cameras offer. That seems possible to me.

More controls would be as well, though this is Sony we're talking about.
Sony completely blew it with the RX1 - now we know what great control layouts they're CAPABLE of. There are parts of the RX1 that wouldn't translate well to a far less expensive camera, but the controls certainly should be able to.

-Ray

1. Sharper lens.
2. Better QC with said lens.
3. I'm with Nic, a little larger body
4. Faster/Wider/Longer - something extra to make it more utilitarian
5. Improve Dynamic range
6. Built in ND filter.

Well at least the new RX100 is reported to have something I really want. A movable LCD screen. I've been taking a lot of shots of ceilings. It's tiring really quick if the camera doesn't have a tiltable screen. If the new screen tilts like the NEX 3 did or at least as much as the NEX 3N, that would be awesome. We'll know in a month.

Blech :(

Why on earth would you want a camera that small with a flash mounted?? Swivel screen, IMO, is not needed. Sounds like it's going to be a larger camera?? If so, maybe i just stick with my RX100, and save myself some cash!

Back