Fuji Showcase Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
My Rok was delivered Thursday. But I've only been able to shoot around the house so far.

set1-2-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

set1-3-L.jpg

set1-6-L.jpg

set1-9-L.jpg

set1-10-L.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing a few shots. How does the sharpness look wide open (these are too small to tell for myself)?

If you have a chance to post a shot of it mounted on the camera that'd be cool too, I'd be curious how big it is in comparison to the body and/or one of the common Fujinon lenses (y)

Very nice! The Rok 85 is reportedly very sharp wide open. I have no reason to doubt this as when I had the Rok 35 for my Canon it was incredible sharp wide open provided you were able to nail the focus.

I'm interested to know what body this was shot with, whether focus peaking was used to aid in focus and how easy it was to do? I'm jonesing to get back into Fuji as I want a smaller system to use with my manual lenses and have been considering picking up an X-E1 body since they're so cheap these days compared to when I bought one previously.

It is as sharp as it gets wide open. I like the Rok 85 images better on the Fuji than when I had it on a 5D2. I don't know if it is the Fuji sensor, that it is 135 effective, or a combination of both.

These were shot with a XE1 with focus peaking. It felt to me easier than focusing on the 5D2 with the split prism focusing screen. I just ordered a XE2, so this may never come off of the XE1.

I will grab some shots of the lens mounted on the XE1 this evening.

These were shot with a XE1 with focus peaking. It felt to me easier than focusing on the 5D2 with the split prism focusing screen.

Do you mean the EG-S high precision screen? I wasn't aware you could get a split prism for the 5DII. That said, I have the EG-S on my 5DII and usually resort to focus peaking using the Magic Lantern firmware for my MF lenses since I don't find the EG-S helps me all that much.

Yeah, that is the one. I got in the habit of calling them all split prism. It made a huge difference for me. Although I do think the Fuji is easier to focus with.

Agreed that over the stock focus screen there is a definite difference - I just don't have the eyes to reliably focus an f1.4 lens at anything more that a couple feet without some additional help.

I never had any problems with 1.4 lenses on my 5D2. Loved shooting with the Rokinon 35/85 combo. Shot weddings, kept up with my kids, etc. It is part eyesight, part practice.

I never had any problems with 1.4 lenses on my 5D2. Loved shooting with the Rokinon 35/85 combo. Shot weddings, kept up with my kids, etc. It is part eyesight, part practice.

If you say so, lol. I think you need to add "luck" or "not shooting subjects too closely" to that list also! ;-)

I practiced, a lot. Would never shoot a wedding relying on luck. I doubt all of the the macro guys shooting MP-E65's rely on luck either ;)

And yeah, I get that not everyone can do it. But there are people who can.

set%204-5-L.jpg

set%204-8-L.jpg

set%204-9-L.jpg

after experimenting, I have found the best MF assist mode for me is leaving it set to standard. My second pick being the split screen on the XE2. Focus peaking, high or low, was the worst for me. Also, the thumb grip helps a lot when shooting with the Rok. Of course results will vary from person to person. Just wanted to share my findings.

Back