Fuji Roki 12 2.0 and Godox

Yep. In slave it fires off camera no problem, but in manual mode. True TTL auto is just as it says. It reads the info through the lens and sets the flash accordingly, if I have this right. I don't believe this trigger has true off camera TTL capability. In slave mode I have had some massive failures being overexposed. This is just my experience so far. So off camera, for me so far, this is a manual flash. Again, I am not a flash master and even with my Nikon I shot with a flash on the camera and two others. This flash is the same, as the flash itself can send info to the other flash guns in the group, but the trigger is just that, a trigger. Anyone is welcome to jump in and straighten me out.:D Neanderthal logic may fail me again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even sure of what the benefits of off-camera TTL would be as I can't see how the interaction would work - I will be trying to research that to see if I can work out what I'm struggling with (as I see a lot of "experts" who do value working in this way).

I do however see a big benefit in using one or more Godox flashes off camera in manual mode, because of the controller - it is a pain setting up a 2-3 flash setup manually when you have to revisit each flash to adjust.

I'm pretty rusty with flash technique since moving to Fuji - though I never got that far with Nikon either because the cost of their iTTL wireless equipment was beyond what I wanted to afford.

Agreed Andy. That was a huge benefit of shooting Nikon. Their system could be adjusted from the camera. Just set the built in flash to Commander and adjust the output of other speed lights . This can be a true TTL or other values you choose for each flash. With this system I believe you adjust the value of each group with the trigger This is where I am confusing myself as I used the camera and not a flash trigger to set the other flash output. I'm with you on being rusty, and this has been a learning experience.

Just ordered the TT350f. It will be my on camera flash and the 685 will have to go on a stand. The 685 is just too big for the XT1 and the 350 can be used as a Master. Also picked up a Canon Flash sync cord to get the 350 off the camera a little bit and still have TTL.

Re: Off-camera TTL… I also can’t imagine how that could work. How would the camera know the distance from those remote flashes to the subject? The big selling point (and it’s paid off) for me with the Yongnuo remote setup was that I could control each one individually from the commander in the hot shoe. I actually labeled each flash with a little A and B, so when I’m setting them up I know which is which. I can control the zoom and the output in 1/3 stops really easily.

I used that at an event a few years back, where I had A on top of a speaker column at the left side of the stage, and B on the right column. As the hosts moved gradually from left to right and back (it was a fun, dynamic fund raising event), I could dial up or down each side’s flash, or turn them both off if I was facing the crowd. The two flashes and the controller were less than $200. The quality of the system for that $ is pretty amazing, to me.

Looking at these now, I wish I’d gelled the flashes a little warm, but the contrast does help them stand out, I guess.

22213046282_939a9e568b_b.jpg
KBRX7207
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

If you line it up juuuust right, the opposite side flash became rim lighting.

22236230351_87f860a9bb_b.jpg
KBRX7011
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

As part of our Christmas letter to mail out this year, the wife had an idea for a funny composite photo, which meant I needed head shots of each of us (and the cat). I borrowed a shoot-through umbrella from work, but without any stands, my choices for flash placement are painfully limited. I did the best I could. Here, a test shot that I wound up keeping:

24125717007_0ca94023e7_c.jpg
KBRX6112
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

I really, really want stands now. Badly. I could get WAY into this.

Yes, I was off base in my thinking. It had been too long since I shot Flash, and got frustrated, I was sure it should set up TTL. Sorry for any confusion I caused. I can operate the levels on the Godox from the trigger so maybe Ill get through this. I'll just shut up and shoot now. The 350 will be in tomorrow, so I'm excited to have a smaller flash on board the camera.

(laughing) shooting is the only way to figure it out. I'm moving along that same road right now myself. I understand *some* of what I need to understand, but I have a lot more work to do.

Got the TT350f in today and just got it set up to Multi M mode as Commander of the TT685f. Works like a charm. Make a change on the 350 and the 685 copies it instantly. The manual says it can be set up as commander in M and TTL modes. The 350 is certainly not up to any heavy lifting with a GN of 36 but it controls the other flash instantly and contributes some front fill in the process, all the while in a nice compact package that's simple and easy to manage. Fires my Nikon slaves , no problem. I like it better than the X1T as a commander, plus I get a little light out of it. X1T may have more range between the two though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried out the 685 and X1T last night for a Sea Cadet presentation. I set the flash up on a tripod about 1 foot to right of camera pointing at about 30 degrees into the ceiling with the bounce card out. Put the flash on TTL mode and went for it. Out of about 60 shots one came out a bit dark - flash fired but power was well down, mush have been a quirk of TTL but otherwise all fine. I toyed with setting the flash to manual slave, but there were a couple of instances where I had to change quickly (couple of group shots) so having TTL for those meant I could react quickly.

Used the 685 on camera at work today and it worked perfectly. Like @Tim Williams I think that a 350 might be the next addition.

I haven't tried to set it up in TTL, I'll do that this weekend, but it was so easy to adjust in Multi manual last night I don't no if I'll need anymore than that. I am really enjoying the size of the 350 even thought it's not very powerful, it fits the XT1 well.

Back