Ricoh Ricoh GR Digital IV (GRD 4) Announced - Updated with Image Stabilization, Hybrid AF

Andrew, agreed on updating everytime. The GRD's are like Pink Floyd. Ya gotta have all of it.

Mike, 3200 with IS is very exciting. I hear ya get 2 stops with the IS. That gives ya some DOF in very low light...... that would also make snap focus in low light work well....

It's optional.

So the color, dynamic range and high iso noise has all been improved too.

In the raw files, or just in the processed jpegs? If raws, I'll have to see what you folks are pulling out of it and then consider. The other improvements don't strike me as all that useful to ME, for the fairly limited ways I shoot with it.

-Ray

...I might actually sell the X100 and buy the GRD 4 and X10.

Now that's bold.

But seriously, to me the X100 and GRD complement each other. Both are single focal lengths, both I would classify as "photographer's cameras", both have great IQ for what they are, but one is more portable than the other.

I'll be curious to see how the X10 compares to the GRD4. Some say the X10 is the GX300 Ricoh never released (or the Q is). Nonetheless, the X10 won't handle like a GRD.

I just got 12 prints back from Mpix. They are 9 x12 image size on 11x14 paper. All are B&W on the true B&W paper. Exhibition quality my friend.
I have 3 going up tonight to be on 16x20 paper... No doubt they will be fine....
Oh excuse me, all were at ISO 800-1600. 400 should blow ya away.

A question for GRD users. Would you feel comfortable printing at 11 X 14 or say 12 x 16 using ISO 400? I am very intrigued after reading up on the GRD III. I more or less never use anything longer than 50mm.

I prefer 35mm but 28mm is fine since I also have an X100 which has basically retired my K5.

My print image size is 10" x 15" and I have no problems even at ISO 800 or 1600

This is a camera that I would have been very interested in until very recently. Given its fixed focal-length lens and size, I just can't see why I would buy the Ricoh over a small micro four-thirds camera with a good pancake prime on it - say, the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or 20mm f/1.7. I think the next challenge for the makers of compact cameras will be the fit a 24-28mm-ish-to-300mm zoom, a 1/1.6 or 1/1.7 sensor in a camera the size of the Ricoh. But perhaps advances in sensor technology will make that unnecessary.

So Wouter, as a GRD user and someone who knows how to get the most from the camera, may I ask you kind sir.... Are you interested in the new 4?
If so, if not....why?
thanks don

Someone like you Nic.... Oooops, sorry, you ordered pink.

Nah, not for me in any colour sadly. As long as Ricoh (and Canon) aren't releasing cameras or camera systems that I want, my interest in adding anything new or switching from my current gear is minimal at best.

Whether I want that to happen, I don't quite know...

I pre-ordered the white one :eek:

That's the spirit!

You know Don. I think the GRD3 is perfect for me and was/is simply the best GRD. Sure, they probably made it even better, but I don't feel a desire to update. I hope to review a sample soon which might change my opinion though. It was just when I tried the GRD3 in 2009 I knew it was very good and I just don't know whether the incremental changes will excite me as much.

When I read the first rumors and the embargoed press release yesterday I wasn't immediately excited. I do however now realize that there are two incredible GRD's available with slightly different price tags. You can't go wrong with either the v3 or v4.

Streetshooter-

Thanks I think.............insert the sound of my wallet crying. I've heard so many good things about Ricoh cameras. I came very close to getting a GXR but went with the X100 instead.

Of course if I would stop adopting stray dogs it would help. I live in Bastrop/work at the State Park and am waiting to hear about one that wandered up to the park a couple of days ago. She's at a make shift shelter now. If no one claims her it will be #4.

Stanley, your love of dogs and your X100 will be all you need. I commend you for your taking in so many good friends who will always stand by you. Please make some portraits of your fur family and take care. I've been thinking about you all down there in the great state of Texas.

Back