Ricoh GR back in stock at B&H

i wish to rent those, but i am still unaware with the charges that i have to pay for renting services? what could be the amount for it exactly?, a help would be appreciated a lot

i wish to rent those, but i am still unaware with the charges that i have to pay for renting services? what could be the amount for it exactly?, a help would be appreciated a lot

lensrentals.com have both the Nikon Coolpix A and the Ricoh GR for rent. Four days cost $53-54 plus shipping charges. They are IMO the best option for renting these and provide excellent service.

-Thomas

Anyone shot both this and the Coolpix A?

I've now received the Coolpix A and will still have the Ricoh GR for some days - let me know if there are some specific comparisons you are interested in.

They are both extremely capable cameras and I can't say that the quality of the images is the defining factor. They both provide sharp and detailed images and seem to have similar capabilities when it comes to higher ISO. It's more the user interface that sets them apart. The Nikon being simpler but less customizable.

-Thomas

.. It's more the user interface that sets them apart. The Nikon being simpler but less customizable.

-Thomas

Its this last that will determine my choice, apart from cost. I already love the UI of the GRDIII, and am used to that. I also love things like Tav as in Pentax cameras (and shoot with that mode 90% of the time, the rest being manual)... so I think, without doubt, the GR is the one I will most adapt to, easily. A feature that I also think I will like is its capacity to shoot at 35mm via in camera cropping... what a neat little idea. I'm well on the way to getting mine, beyond that it will be a matter of availability. I've decided not to buy from B&H because once shipping is added, its going to be a bit more expensive than if I order it in from my local camera store (RRP out here is $849 and I doubt we will see any price reductions for a *very* long time)

I've now received the Coolpix A and will still have the Ricoh GR for some days - let me know if there are some specific comparisons you are interested in.

They are both extremely capable cameras and I can't say that the quality of the images is the defining factor. They both provide sharp and detailed images and seem to have similar capabilities when it comes to higher ISO. It's more the user interface that sets them apart. The Nikon being simpler but less customizable.

-Thomas

After I sold my RX100 several weeks ago I debated for weeks whether I would swing for the Coolpix A or the GR. I definitely agree with your assessment and Ray's to how simplistic and easy the Nikon menus are I guess it also helps that my first DSLR was a Nikon D40.

In the end I went with the GR because of the customization it offers which I don't mind coming from using micro 4/3 Olympus's and the little bonuses it had ND filter but not least the small upgrade price I had to pay in contrast to Coolpix A.

I have not thought about buying anything for awhile, but decided today to order a GR and try it out as my new all the time briefcase road camera, replacing my X10 in the bag, the size, feel and chip size look appealing, let you know what I think when it arrives on Friday. Was tempted to get an X20 but don't see it being that different, from the X10, just needed something small, with a slightly wide lens with a big chip.
You will not be disappointed Bob! Be keen to hear your impressions

-Thomas
Fully agree. The one difference in IQ that might matter to some is the out of the box colors. Neither is "better" but they're different and anyone might prefer one to the other. Some are probable adept enough at color processing to get either to look exactly how they'd like, but some of us aren't and they do have notably different starting points, even with raw files.

For street shooting, I personally find the auto-ISO setup of the Nikon a big advantage, but for any other type of shooting it wouldn't matter. And the Ricoh's snap focus might be a bigger deal for street than auto-ISO for many, so it's really about knowing how you like to shoot and which suits you better. The one thing I'd say pretty close to unequivocally is the Ricoh felt better in the hand. The Nikon feels fine and its not a downside, but the the Ricoh is just soooo nice in that regard - I'll never forget the first time I picked up a GRD3 - the GR is every bit as nice.

-Ray

... And the Ricoh's snap focus might be a bigger deal for street than auto-ISO for many, so it's really about knowing how you like to shoot and which suits you better. The one thing I'd say pretty close to unequivocally is the Ricoh felt better in the hand. The Nikon feels fine and its not a downside, but the the Ricoh is just soooo nice in that regard - I'll never forget the first time I picked up a GRD3 - the GR is every bit as nice.
-Ray

Yes, snap focus is great on the Ricoh. On the other hand, manual focus is a disaster. The focusing aids are just a pain to use and don't seem to make it easier even when you finally figure out how to activate them. The Nikon's focus ring plus the ability to easily enlarge a portion of the screen is so much easier.

My biggest gripe with the Nikon is the lack of a way to turn the display off when using the OVF. Another issue is that the assignment for the Fn1/Fn2 buttons are not part of the User Settings. So if I set Fn1 to do AF-On then I'm stuck with that in every single mode setting, even the green auto. Would be nice to be able to store that as part of U1 or U2.

The Nikon OVF is very nice though. A bit better than the GV-2 for the Ricoh. Has better magnification and also slightly better framing accuracy. It's a bit bigger and it is pricey. Luckily Adorama is running a promotion giving $200 off on the camera and finder combo.

I got the original Sigma DP-1 years ago, but that fell out of use due to the sluggish operations. Very happy to see two capable pocketable cameras introduced into that same space now.

-Thomas

Yes, snap focus is great on the Ricoh. On the other hand, manual focus is a disaster. The focusing aids are just a pain to use and don't seem to make it easier even when you finally figure out how to activate them. The Nikon's focus ring plus the ability to easily enlarge a portion of the screen is so much easier.

My biggest gripe with the Nikon is the lack of a way to turn the display off when using the OVF. Another issue is that the assignment for the Fn1/Fn2 buttons are not part of the User Settings. So if I set Fn1 to do AF-On then I'm stuck with that in every single mode setting, even the green auto. Would be nice to be able to store that as part of U1 or U2.

The Nikon OVF is very nice though. A bit better than the GV-2 for the Ricoh. Has better magnification and also slightly better framing accuracy. It's a bit bigger and it is pricey. Luckily Adorama is running a promotion giving $200 off on the camera and finder combo.

I got the original Sigma DP-1 years ago, but that fell out of use due to the sluggish operations. Very happy to see two capable pocketable cameras introduced into that same space now.

-Thomas
Agreed on manual focus, although the way I use manual focus on either of these two is almost always zone focus, so I have to rate the Ricoh the winner in that regard, but the Nikon is so quick and easy that I don't rate it much of a "loss", just not quite as good.

The assignment of the fn buttons is a funny thing. On the one hand, clearly you're right, its less flexible. OTOH, this was one of the things I'd occasionally find confusing with my Ricohs (including the GR when I had a loaner) - I'd have a few different user settings assigned (three was always enough - I never got into the "box" settings), then I'd decide to change an fn button, but it would only change in the setting I'd be in at the time. Pretty soon I'd have the same button assigned to different functions in different custom settings, very much UNintentionally, and pretty soon I'd be thoroughly confused and just have to go back and reset each in each of the settings to make sure I was on the same page with myself. I realize it gives you more flexibility and power, but I wish they gave you the option to turn that capability on or off, because I can only handle so much customizability before my brain decides to mutiny... On balance, the Nikon's two fn buttons and two user settings are all I need to set the camera up just as I like it - I basically have one setting for street photography, the other for everything else, and the third (NOT using the fn button) for whatever special situations I might encounter along the way.

I wouldn't even really consider the OVF's as part of the deal. They're both (plus third party options) just dumb ovf's with the same 28mm framelines. Any of the 28mm 3:2 OVF's can work with either camera (and the Sigma DP1M). So if you prefer the Nikon or Voitlander OVF but prefer the GR otherwise, I'd just get that combination rather than worry about getting a matched pair... I've been using the Sigma VF-11 on the rare occasion I use an OVF and I've used it with the Nikon, the Sigma, AND the Ricoh - worked the same for all...

The Sigma DP1M is evidently a major step forward from the previous DP1 model. I never tried the previous model but I had the DP1M with my on my Italian trip and I enjoyed having it as an option. The sluggish operations are pretty much limited to card write times now, which I got used to pretty quickly. The processing workflow is another story though - still required an extra step with SPP to get the raw files minimally processed and converted to TIF for further work in Lightroom and/or one of the Nik plug-ins...

-Ray

The GR was an amazing camera.. it really had pretty much everything. I feel like I jumped ship in selling it and yet the X100s is so much easier for my eyes, I have numerous ways to focus depending on how my eyes are on that particular day, lcd, ovf, evf +... With the GR I had only the LCD and regardless of the snap function that might ensure certain distances were in focus, I really couldn't even review what I had just taken because as sharp as the lcd was, with my vision I wasn't able to see if I had nailed the shot or not. I couldn't discern if the edges were sharp or not. I go to the eye doctor today to hear the verdict.. maybe my eyes will continue to improve or maybe this is what i've now got. When you're older you don't heal as quickly/well. At any rate I think few people that purchase the GR will be disappointed by it's abilities. If I were to improve on it for myself I would add an vf setup like the X has and fix the lens more solidly. I don't like it retracting even if it makes it more pocketable. Where that little camera is so very solid feeling, so well designed, the retracting lenses of compacts just seem so fragile to me. Probably because my daughter dropped one, and not from a great height, and the fall knocked her lens crooked and it wouldn't retract or work. I fixed it but if I had not it would have only been a 250 dollar camera to replace. For 8 I want that lens more solid. Still and all, if the GR had only the VF option [and I don't mean a hotshoe ovf] then I would have kept it regardless of the retracting lens. As for my new X.. I hope it continues to bring me magic. I could use a little of that in my life and after some late night reading of the manual I at least understand the very basics better. Can't compare to the Nikon, don't want to, I just want to shoot now and sell off that which I'm not going to use anymore.

*I do have to add that the little "snick" sound of the X firing is a bit weird.. and the alternatives are even stranger. I wonder what the designers were thinking, they got their camera sounds all off! Maybe they have Ear problems.

I wish they can bring back the easy toggle on/off button assignment of focus assist+magnification of GXR. Right now it is a 3 button press to activate and 2 button press to deactivate for me. Glad that the AFL button works in MF mode though so I don't need to scroll the front dial all the way from infinity to close distance.

When I look at the pictures I took during the couple of weeks I owned the GR I really wish I'd kept it but like Isoterica, I just couldn't see the screen without my reading glasses and I've never liked little OVf's perched on the top of a camera. That lens has such a pretty way of capturing the light. I'm deliberating over yet another X100 or the X100s as my "compact".

When I look at the pictures I took during the couple of weeks I owned the GR I really wish I'd kept it but like Isoterica, I just couldn't see the screen without my reading glasses and I've never liked little OVf's perched on the top of a camera. That lens has such a pretty way of capturing the light. I'm deliberating over yet another X100 or the X100s as my "compact".

Have you played with a XM1 yet? Or is a VF a must?

First of all you are an amazing photographer imho.. your portrait work is just beautiful, perhaps due in part to your beautiful models but also because of your skill. You're poor vision isn't showing, at least in not what you share with us but I know well how it is.

You wanted to know my initial review.. well other camera functions aside, the ovf/evf combo does make a difference for my eyes. I'm farsighted with no astigmatism, however now that I am older and my eyes lost that elasticity.. if I am looking through my glasses or contacts... I can't read a book or medicine bottle and it wouldn't matter at this point how long my arms were. So lately I've just worn the glasses and I peer over the top rim of them if I have to read because it seems really silly to wear contacts AND reading glasses. Pretty normal rx overall. Only today, beyond eye infection talk, the doctor told me I am actually less nearsighted by .50 which means while my far vision is a little less bad.. my reading is also a little worse. Seriously if it kept going that way and I'd only need reading glasses I'd love it but the fact is I get both to some degree so that is what I have to work with. AND.. that is probably why I've had so much trouble with my cameras, the changes in both distances.

So back to the X100S (As I can't speak for the 100).. the OVF.. is just that, you'll have some parallax but otherwise it's handy for a general frame particularly when it's too sunny for the LCD. I mean really it's no different than an old film camera with a similar set-up but at least is mounted IN the camera rather than to a hotshoe. To me that is the same as sighting over the top of the camera and a lot like looking over the top of my glasses, a work around what you really want to do which is see what will be on screen. The LCD and EVF both read through the lens, can I see them clearly? So far the answer is yes.

The GR's LCD is actually better than the X's. The GR has a 3 inch screen with a 1,230,000 dot resolution whereas the X100S has a 2.8 inch screen and 460,000 dot resolution. However, if you can't see the screen clearly enough, 3x the resolution will NOT improve that fact. More detail is only great if your eyes are capable of seeing more detail otherwise you can't sort all that information. But, in the X it is still a handy option and probably valuable for us blind people if we are shooting video. allowing the camera to autofocus. Always good to have more than one method to see.

The EVF is the tech that really made this camera unique. The EVF is through the lens accurate, no parallax, large enough and crisp. You can use it as it is or employ split image in manual mode, which btw also shows up on the lcd if you want a larger split image. Lining up is lining up, that is still doable even with poorer vision. If you have astigmatism.. I'm not sure if this would be a good tool for you or not. Maybe someone that has it knows. There's also Focus Peaking which I really haven't done much with though did check it out, it heightens high contrast outlines. That might be a good visual tool.

If you already have a Fuji and like it.. and its interface, I can't see you not liking this. I'm not a pro photographer or even a really good amateur and I certainly can't keep up with all the tech talk others can on here, but I can answer for my eyes and in simple layman's terms say that this camera seems to have addressed my problem. More photos, because I haven't taken all that many yet, will confirm this better over time-- or not. Because.. I also like to shoot wide open and lenses, while having these great apertures like 2.0 or wider.. generally aren't as sharp that wide open. As long as I get what I'm shooting for though.. that does not matter to me.

Hope this helps.. seems like a lot of wind over a little detail but it's a lot of investment too.

The GR's LCD is actually better than the X's. The GR has a 3 inch screen with a 1,230,000 dot resolution whereas the X100S has a 2.8 inch screen and 460,000 dot resolution.

With the GR resolution being as good as it is (the GRD is 920k dots IIRC) you shouldn't need a viewfinder, the GRx screens have been excellent even at midday. The X100 (can't speak about the S) is OK except in the middle of a bright sunny day... but thats why we have the VF, and even though though the EVF isnt crash hot, its better than nothing... I prefer the OVF, even with parallax issues, myself :)

[edit] my savings are getting me closer to landing a GR... yay! Probably another month. Perhaps I should order now :)

With the GR resolution being as good as it is (the GRD is 920k dots IIRC) you shouldn't need a viewfinder, the GRx screens have been excellent even at midday. The X100 (can't speak about the S) is OK except in the middle of a bright sunny day... but thats why we have the VF, and even though though the EVF isnt crash hot, its better than nothing... I prefer the OVF, even with parallax issues, myself :)

[edit] my savings are getting me closer to landing a GR... yay! Probably another month. Perhaps I should order now :)

The screen resolution is superb but if you can't see a big red x on it because your vision is poor, a hundred little red x's aren't going to be any clearer. It isn't about glare.

And if you have to order out there Sue then you should probably get it on order. It would be horrible to have that money sitting there and no camera to spend it on, worse than not having it and seeing them in all the stores!

Back