Ricoh Review of the Ricoh GRii by Mattias Burling

Enjoyed that. Love your dog !
Tempted to try the X70 too . But somehow I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as my Ricoh's.
Good review . Nicely put together.

Mattias does great work and reviews. He's always very thorough, providing good summaries of the pros and cons.

Agree with everything he's said about the GR.

Hopefully the GRiii is around the corner - same everything, but with a newer 24MP sensor and better AF being my only wants. If they can somehow add a tilt/touch screen without adding bulk, I'd be for that as well.

Hello. Quick question. You mention that the camera is superior for B&W work. Would that mean in camera conversion to JPEG or shooting Raw and covering latter?
As far as I know, Andrew's not Mattias, but anyway: Both ways work great - but it's worth knowing that both the standard and high contrast B&W JPEGs are very nice. I personally prefer to do my conversions myself from RAW, but the GRII has the same great JPEG engine as the GR as far as B&W is concerned. Mattias talks mostly about converting from RAW, btw.

M.

External PP produces special B&W tones and in camera PP produces B&W tones virtually impossible to replicate externally. Fuji has put a lot of marketing into 'Acros' but the GR leaves all that behind imo.

I wonder how Daidō Moriyama does the conversions? In camera or post from Raw. I have a feeling he's not particular and probably shoots Jpegs and does a little tweaking to them in post. I only think this way because for his color work he uses a Nikon Coolpix, and that camera doesn't produce raw.

Back