Panasonic Rain and wind at Mount Batten Pier with the FZ200 (6 images)

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I cut a lonely figure on Mount Batten Pier this morning in the rain and wind, hoping for some wind blown sea birds, but there were only a few Gannets to be seen.

131106-1010267_DxO.jpg

Then the 3000 ton coaster Berthold K emerged out of a rain squall accompanied by the harbour tug, not normally required for this size of vessel but very necessary today since to access Victoria Wharf the ship will turn broadside onto the wind and so the tug is needed to lay alongside the ship to stop her being blown sideways into the wharf.

131106-1010271_DxO.jpg

As she neared the end of the pier at one point she was obscured by the spray from a wave breaking below me

131106-1010274_DxO.jpg

I presume the figures on the bridge are the captain and the pilot

131106-1010282_DxO.jpg

She was soon followed by the Newlyn beam trawler Louisa N who's crew gave me a friendly wave as she passed

131106-1010291_DxO.jpg

This launch from Plymouth University set out from Sutton Pool, presumably with research students, but about one minute after taking this shot they decided better of it and turned back to port

131106-1010302_DxO.jpg

This was the view below me a little later , the tide having dropped somewhat, and still no one else had ventured out to this exposed position, I wonder why, a lovely bracing morning.

Barrie

There's an interesting effect in that first picture now I look at it again.

The line of the breakwater on the left seems to continue into a similar line running along the side of the boat. It makes the boat look semi-transparent at that point.

(Plymouth always seemed to be cold, wet and windy when I lived there as a student. I'm sure it was lovely in the summer, but that's when we went all back home)

-R

Monday was a decent day, certainly in the afternoon

:rofl: I was there a couple of days ago, and the weather was... well... maybe, a little better... but not much!;)

If by a couple of days ago you mean Monday 4th November, the weather was pretty good. Here's a couple of shots with a G6 and a 14-140mm zoom, their first outing.

131104-1000067.jpg

The beam trawler Admiral Blake leaving harbour in the afternoon

131104-1000075.jpg

The tanker Northern Ocean, registered in the Faeroe islands moving slowly down the Cattewater

Barrie

If by a couple of days ago you mean Monday 4th November, the weather was pretty good. Here's a couple of shots with a G6 and a 14-140mm zoom, their first outing.

I'm not too sure - it was around mid-morning... I think it was on Monday, but I could be wrong...:confused:

I'd be interested to hear your first impressions of your new G6 - your photos speak for themselves, but how about the ergonomics, and the general 'user-interface'?

I'm not too sure - it was around mid-morning... I think it was on Monday, but I could be wrong...:confused:

I'd be interested to hear your first impressions of your new G6 - your photos speak for themselves, but how about the ergonomics, and the general 'user-interface'?

I don't think the morning was as nice as the afternoon, so perhaps you timed it wrong :) I recall my hopes for a decent sunset were dashed as a grey cloud sheet approached form the west a little after 16:00 hours, and with a tanker coming in at about sunset I'd hoped for some different shots to normal :(

As for my thoughts on the G6 I'll sleep on that idea, it's still very early days and it wouldn't be fair to the camera or any readers for me to launch into anything too quickly, but I'll keep it in mind.

Barrie

Back