Leica Q vs M with 28mm 2.8

N05J3W3

Rookie
Interested in hearing pro and con views on a this/that choice:

a] Leica Q, or, b] M [used] with 28mm f2.8.

This will be a 'grail' camera, so thoughtful advice is welcomed...

Thanks.

David

Interested in hearing pro and con views on a this/that choice:

a] Leica Q, or, b] M [used] with 28mm f2.8.

This will be a 'grail' camera, so thoughtful advice is welcomed...

Thanks.

David

Just depends on whether you prefer EVF or rangefinder focusing and want a smaller and lighter solution (Q) or an expandable one (M).

Depending on your lens choice, even used an M+28mm package will likely be more expensive.

Hi David, tell us more about what you like to shoot. That could sway some advice ...

FYI: The M 240 has come down a lot on eBay. Pair it with a nice Zeiss 28mm f2 M mount, and the cost would be pretty comparable to the Q.

If you shoot mostly scenic, you'd leave the rangefinder on infinite focal and f5.6 or higher (most often), and never have to focus it.

If you're snapping people and want a bit of blurred background, you're at f2 and then the Q would have the advantage for getting the focus fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are pretty sure of the 28mm focal length, the Q is an excellent choice. Price of the Q is about the same as the M body (used) itself. If you get a used 28mm Elmarit ASPH, it will be another $1200. You are also about 1 stop slower. If you decided to pair the M with the 28mm Summicron ASPH (used-old version), that is around $2K more. The Q is AF but and better IQ because it is newer and the sensor is mostlikely tweaked to be perfectly match to that 28mm Summilux. Downside is, if you decide that 28mm focal length is not your thing, you have to sell the whole thing, wanted a little wider or a little longer focal length, you don't have any choice.

Shooting a bit of everything, carib. The M10 offers some future-proofing, with glass I could move on with. But the price is significantly higher.

The main upside for the Q is the cinematic depth of field, not possible with the 28mm 2.8.

Vince, yes, I'm pretty committed to the 28mm perspective.

The 'Q' does offer a bit of OIS too ... If I didn't like shooting at 21mm so much I'd probably already have a 'Q.'

The 90mm f4 macro is coming tomorrow. Hopefully that will keep me "focused" for a while, heh!

So over the weekend, I was in Boston so I visited the Leica Store in Boston hoping to play with the M10. To my surprise, they do not even have a demo in their store. This is a Leica owned store. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. I just don't understand why Leica consistently have the issue with their supply chain when launching a new product. When I used to run managed the supply chain in a previous life, it is a big no no to not have the new product and have a lot of the old product when transitioning. We spent months before the product launch to build up the inventory of the new product while working on reducing inventory of the existing one. Leica seems to do it the other way where they launch a product first, then work on building up inventory of the new product and at the same time dumping the old product at a discount. Not sure what they are achieving with that except for frustrated customers and many speculator profiting from the shortage.

On a another note, the Leica Store in Boston is located in Park Plaza hotel in Boston. In that same building is the M Steinert and Son store. A Steinway dealer. My daughter (8 yrs old) plays piano so she wanted to check it out. Wow, Leica ain't that expensive after all.

Vince, you're incorrigible!

Hap, if only that Coolpix A had a built-in EVF!

That thing takes great shots, I still use it in spite of no EVF ...

View attachment 13715
2016 fall springbrook reserve by Carl B, on Flickr

Straight from the camera.
Thats a beautiful shot. It's a "sort of" Q. Maybe interface not as elegant but a lot of Nikon users can use in their sleep......where Nikon seems to be spending a lot of time.

Vince
I have a very nice Kawai baby grand.....and it is calling for your daughter's "love". So how do with ship it 2500 miles?
Need my paypal address? :)

... In that same building is the M Steinert and Son store. A Steinway dealer. My daughter (8 yrs old) plays piano so she wanted to check it out. Wow, Leica ain't that expensive after all.

Yes, a great college education can be funded for the cost of a Steinway. You could say Leica is the Steinway of cameras, or vice-versa. I doubt either would be offended upon hearing that.

<...>Maybe interface not as elegant but a lot of Nikon users can use in their sleep......where Nikon seems to be spending a lot of time.

That DL fiasco really hurt Nikon. With cameras you have to "go for the gusto" - Make something that enthusiasts must buy. The 18-50mm was going to be that (because it would be unique).

Look at the LX100 by panasonic - beautiful controls, EVF, gorgeous lens, compact. Put an APS-C version of that together, just a bit bigger than the LX100 (appease the physics), you couldn't make them fast enough. Make one that starts at 18mm equivalent, you could not keep such a beast stocked, ever. But it would need the EVF.

Hap, my daughter was quite picky. She played with a few on display and the one she liked most is the Model D. MSRP on that baby is a cool $181K.

Back