Put a camera in the hands of a writer, you never know what might happen

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
This came to me this am in the twilight between fully asleep and fully awake

Time Exposure

birdfeeder_and_starry_night_009_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It’s garbage day.

I lead an expedition of cans and boxes to the curb.

Watch this, says Orion, sliding down an arc toward the rim of the world.

He flashes me from behind a wisp of cloud in a crystalline sky.
Three stars in his belt and a nebula below. I am transfixed.
I aim my camera at him, hoping to seize his grandeur.

Light travels trillions of miles,
Bends through glass,
Pummels a shard of silicon.
13 seconds.

The screen reveals a pale shadow of what I have seen.
As if ones and zeroes could capture what’s in my heart.
It beats gratitude for the beauty of God’s creation.

© 2013 Jock Elliott

The screen reveals a pale shadow of what I have seen.
As if ones and zeroes could capture what’s in my heart.
It beats gratitude for the beauty of God’s creation.

Beautiful Jock.

And is this snippet now the great frustration we all feel in digital photography?

Do you have poetry online anywhere? Would love to read more.

wt21,

This is the first time that I have done something "poetical." I have written short non-fiction prose for over 40 years. I took the photo while taking out the garbage a few weeks ago, and the words literally came to me in the twilight space between fully asleep and fully awake this morning.

I have written a 20-page book that combines photos with scripture and some of my story, but it is not poetry. It's available here: Airguns of Arizona Blog » About Jock Elliott

You don't have to give your email or sign in; just click to download. If you like it, feel free to share with others.

Thank you for the very kind words.

Cheers, Jock

Just finished reading and looking at your book, Jock. I remember The Brendan Voyage! Now I'm going to check out some of your other references - such as Jack Borden's site... The photographs you chose are beautiful, each a unique jewel never to be seen again. I, too, love the sky and am going to try to capture more of what I see above me. Many thanks for the wonderful images - just looking at them makes me feel lighter inside.

Wow, I am frankly overwhelmed by the response.

At least one more of these "photo-poems" has come to me in the middle of the night and is of a frankly "faith-based" nature. If anyone would like to see it, please send a private message to me, and we can make arrangements to email a pdf file to you.

Again, thank you for the response.

Cheers, Jock

Back