Progress Photos from the Cosina C1 - Some feedback please

Cosina C1 50 lens - Tudorcolor 200

Photo A 50mm

View attachment 82133

Compare F660 (approx 60-70)

View attachment 82134

Cosina 50 Lens Typical Bleach Out

View attachment 82135

I haven’t noticed the bleach out this bad from either my Fuji Stx 1 or the Konica S3

In some respects I quite like the effect but would prefer to avoid it – any suggestions as to the root cause?
The negs look reasonably even under a mag glass so I wonder if its the scanner – Have I answered my own question?
A - Not really as shots taken with the 28mm Tamron are more even with far less bleaching.

On the other hand the bokeh from the Cosina 50 is very cool I think
View attachment 82136

I have a correction to make - the bleach out is visible on other lenses - so must be camera related or scanner related

hmm
Try scanning the same frame twice, but for the second scan (physically) turn it 180° so the left hand side is now on the right hand side.
If the lighter area that is currently showing on the LHS shows in the same place on the frame (i.e. on the LHS) it's the scanner.
If it stays in the same place on the frame itself, then it's an area of higher density on the film, in which case it's probably the light traps in the camera.

have I made myself sufficiently unclear? (I can't quite think how better to explain at the moment :rolleyes:

Yup thanks will do

have you seen this before? - I've Googled Cosina C1 images (not that many) and it does appear to be a family trait - a bit more noticeable on wider shots than close ups

Well I've seen light leaks before and that's what it looks like. But scanners can produce similar I'm sure.
Hadn't come across the C1 before but then there's a zillion cameras out there.

The commonest light leaks are caused by the light traps round the door. If the C1 has a little window in the back to show the cassette that's also a possible source.

If we can't nail it down here, you could try joining "I shoot Film" at Flickr (I Shoot Film) and ask there. Better than photo.net or RFF for this sort of problem IMO. It's such a big active group there's usually someone about who actually has the same camera and can offer advice or support.

Update - No change via scanner

On thumbnails I can make out a central circle in "true" colour with the perimeter fading & bleached

Aahh

Thanks for reply Paul - Yes it does have a film window

The door appears only to have light seals on hinge side & around the window - no evidence of any light seal on open side or top & bottom of door

Maybe that's just the design? (my old folders don't have fabric or foam traps at all, they use baffles only) - but then maybe it isn't & the seal foam/fabric (usually the former) might be missing.

It can be the work of 20 mins and the expenditure of less than a fiver to fit new light traps.

I did a vague google and came up with someone saying something about light traps in the mirror box on the C1, but I wasn't clear at all what he was saying.

What you really need is someone who's familiar with this particular camera rather than me rambling on and speculating. Although I am pretty sure you're looking at light leaks.

yes I agree its the design & the seals are as orginal - its a very firm back door no sign of springing or looseness

I will run another cheapo film through but tape all the joints & window just to see

Sorry to say the plan didn't work
still have the same problem after taping up

So I'll return the camera - its been fun but I think from now on it will be digital & the old STX1 + meter for me
its a pity because the Cosina C1 is one of nicest most tactile cameras I've had in my hand

For all its faults there is something I find quite beguiling with this lens & I’ve never had anything quite like it.

The film & processing could be a lot better (& best say nothing of my composition skills) but I may just try to get it fixed instead of returning for a refund.

Any suggestions? Tips ? Hints?

View attachment 82747

View attachment 82748

Back