Fuji Problem choosing......

D

Deleted member 13442

I usually make my own choices when it come to buying a lens since Im the one that knows what and how I shoot but Im having a problem choosing between the 56 f1.2 and the 50 f2. Anyone that has used or owned, or own's these can give their opinions it would be appreciated.

That is really going to be a personal preference thing. Both are fantastic lenses. If you want/need weather sealing, the 50 is the only choice. If you want/need completely crushed out of focus backgrounds and 1.2 aperture, the 56 is the only choice. Both will give you incredible image quality and rendering. Although each lens renders differently. Look through as many sample images from each that you can and see if you prefer the look of one over the other.

The 50 is really compelling - and I say that as a guy who's owned the 56 since it came out, and who loves it.

- 50: Smaller, lighter, sealed, max app is fast enough, quicker AF, exactly half the price, and slightly easier to use as a walkaround with the wider focal length.
- 56: Pours your backgrounds into a blender / selects "puree" / lets them spin for 5 minutes until they're just impressionist paintings. AF speed is pretty good, just not as good. It's not huge, or beastly heavy, just bigger than the 50... I still use it to walk around, at campfires, at bike races, on trips.

Except for days like today (Hurricane Grayson currently overhead), I don't miss the WR as much. I will admit - I am a staunch believer in the Pete "Maverick" Mitchell Philosophy: "I feel the need. The Need...for Speed!" :D

The 56 is like a Bowie knife - totally overkill for General Photography, but if you must cut something efficiently and easily, break it out and watch the crowd scatter. It is not as compact as the Fujicrons, but it's not a brick either. I carry mine on an XT-10 in one of the smallest Lowepro holsters currently available. I love f1.2, I really do - and I suspect you will too.

I like WR but really haven't needed it, at least up to now. I realize it is larger and heaver then the 50 f2 but I do not have a problem carrying the 16 around and the 56 is the same size and only 30g heaver then the 16. The f1.2 is appealing to me. I also own the 23 f1.4 and 35 f1.4 so focus speed shouldn't be a problem unless one of you have noticed it being slower then these two.

I have looked at a lot of pictures of both lenses and honestly find them both pleasing to me. The only problem with looking at other peoples pictures is that you don't really know if or how much processing they've had.

When I look back at my response it seems that Im leaning toward the 56.

I'm going through the early stages of this selection process as this is a gap in my primes, and I have made the same decision. When it comes time to pull the trigger the background blender will get the nod.

Caution: Edges May Be Sharp

ALH-PRT-JUN-2016-004-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

CRH-PRT-JUN-2016-001-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know I'm late to this debate, but I wanted to draw an analogy. I have both lenses from new and about the only things they have in common are the mount, the (approximate) focal length and of course optical excellence.

So how to choose?
Let me express it in these terms.

You want a coffee. Sometimes you want a short, intense caffiene hit. An espresso. Sometimes you feel the need for something a little longer, smoother - a latte, perhaps.

Both are made with coffee beans but they are totally different in appearance and in results.

I'm not sure that I'm actually helping, but...

Back