Sony Possible to take this type of picture from RX100

salman4u

Hello,

I recently bought RX100 and this is my first camera of my life. I am a complete newbie. After few hours of fiddling I do know basic functions of RX100 but I'd like to know if it is possible to take this type of picture from RX100:

_DSC6672

As you can see, the man is fully visible but the background is blur and leaves motion trail.

If yes, then could you please suggest how?

Thanks!

Yes. You can take that type of photo with almost any camera. But you need a little practice and a little luck to get it just right. Try to pan your camera at the same speed as the runners (or a car, or a bicycle). If your body (or camera) is traveling at the roughly the same speed as your subject, they will be reasonably in focus. But obviously, if you are moving the camera, the background will be blurred.

You can vary how long the exposure is to get more or less blur. The one in your link is 1/20 of a second. The longer the exposure the blur you can get, but the harder it is to get your subject sharp(ish).

This is the only example I could find quickly where I tried a pan. The puppy was too quick, but it still worked (partially). As you can see the grass is much more blurred than the dog. It's not exactly what you are going for, but I was pretty happy with it.
View attachment 69494
It can be hard keeping up with a puppy by Lukinosity, on Flickr

What Luke said. It can take some practice, though. The slower your shutter speed relative to the motion of the subject, the greater the background blur. Of course, a slower shutter as you pan also means that you are more likely to get subject blur.

fawn_in_flight_9198.jpg

Mike_BMW_325_9363.jpg

Back