Possible new owner of a DP1

Hi everyone im new to the forum so sorry if this is the wrong section to be posting . Anyway ...... I have enjoyed photography for just under a year now but im getting a little fed up with lugging the full size dslr Nikon D40X around with me . I have been looking at getting a smaller camera for sometime and I keep coming back to reading reviews on the Sigma DP's . The thing I cant get my head around is this ..... if the three layered type of sensor is that good at capturing images why havnt other manufactuers clocked on to this idea .... are these little DP compacts as good as what people say they are ? Yes I have read they are slow , but hey im a pensioner and Im not as fast as I once was ! I certainly dont and have never wanted to rush around pointing and shoooting to my hearts content , I like to take time to compose what im about to shoot .
Truth is ... I have been looking at so many smaller compacts such as the Canon S95 ... the Samsung NX100 and the Sigma DP's its knowing what one to buy for image quality .

carpetman, welcome to Serious Compacts! There are quite a few really good small, serious cameras around. I've moved your first post into this forum because I wanted everyone to meet you and see what your thoughts are about your next camera choice. Let's see what feedback you get here, but please consider posting again in the Sigma DP forum and/or any of the others...with regard to the specific cameras you're considering. We've got quite a few members who are quite knowledgeable - and helpful.

Very glad you found your way here, carpetman.:D

Carpetman, welcome from a hardwood man.
You do know that the DP cameras have a cult following.
If you are serious about taking your time with image making, then the DP's are the way to go.
If your the kind of guy that takes time to smell the roses, that's a great camera for you.
Even the software will slow you down but at days end, you'll have photos that will knock your socks off.
Don

Aww thankyou everyone for the replies ..... really appriciated ! The thing is .. when you see the images taken with the Sigma DP's they are simply stunning , so much detail in them ! I really think my Nikon D40X would struggle to gain such detail ..... plus the fact the Nikon is not really pocketable for me .

The DP images have depth and seem very organic to me.
Just a pleasure if you aren't in a hurry.
By the way, it happen almost always... You'll want to have both.

As I understand it, the DP series struggles in low light, which limits their appeal (along with their quirkiness), but it you mostly shoot in good light, and you are patient, people say that the Foveon sensor is tough to beat.

If you do get a DP camera I recommend that you get at least one spare battery as well. Also the screen is abysmal so an OVF is very very useful.

Not at that size but if you go up to the M4/3 types then you would open up the possibilities a lot.
BTW I own a DP1 so I know they are good but being fixed focal length they do have some limitations. Mind you my other camera is a GRD3 so I manage to cope with it lol

Hi, my DP1s is my beloved one. You should take in account, that the camera is more or less a step back in time.
You will work with RAW, but SPP is a nice (pre-)developer.
Jan

Back