1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Polaroid Spectra - New Spectra

Discussion in 'Film Cameras' started by Cerita, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    This is a my first decent shot with this film and spectra camera combo. The camera I bought off Ebay has some issues with it, the rollers jammed which meant I had to open the film door, and I think this ended up flashing the rest of the exposures, the first three shots were completely ruined. The rollers cause a lot of streaking and I did clean them and made sure they were rolling freely before inserting the cartridge. Some slight adjustments made in Affinity photo to remove streaking. I don't like this image, it looks completely mis-exposed!

View attachment 148688

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MoonMind

MoonMind All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Looks more like an older batch of Impossible Project film to me; nothing much wrong with it except its age (so colours are seriously off and/or muted); also, upsizing it like you did will enhance the flaws ... The new film is a lot(!) more reliable.

M.

3. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    Hmm, that's a good point although the package is completely the new Polaroid, doesn't say impossible on it. I haven't given up on this yet but since this new Polaroid is not easy to buy in Canada and when one can, it's quite expensive that I am not going to try very hard. I picked up a Fuji wide 300 camera, Fuji is easily available and much cheaper.

4. MoonMind

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Okay, I didn't know that ... But here's another thought: How cold was it? Below 10 degrees C, the film starts acting up ... I ruined four frames this way not too long ago. You *can* counteract this by storing the fresh prints close to your body after a minute or two; shield them from the light first, then warm them up. But it'll never be as good as when it's shot in a sufficiently warm environment.

M.

5. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    It was taken from indoors, it was about 22 C or so, and I immediately put the photo into a dark box, speaking of which, do you know why one has to do this with Polaroid, and not with Fujifilm? I am coming around to the idea that they may have packaged old Impossible film into new boxes, and you are so right, I have looked at other photos from the Impossible batch and they sort of look the same. Anyhow, as I mentioned, it's awfully expensive film, at least here in Canada so I am very reluctant to buy another pack, I'll wait for a few months. The new camera isn't even sold here as yet.

6. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    Here is another view, this time edited in LR and closer to the real size rather than blown up version, looks slightly better.

View attachment 148689

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MoonMind

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    No further attempts at explaining it on my part - all that appears clear is that the whole affair is extremly fragile and fickle. I'll have to find a way to retest the film.

M.

8. BrianS

BrianS Super Moderator

Apr 3, 2013
    I used to shoot hundreds of Polaroids- it's a shame that the film does not have the color saturation and reliability of the film I grew up with. I've shot Polaroid since 1966. I hope with the rebranding that some of the older character of the film returns. I still have me Spectra SE, SLR680, SLR690, SX-70 Sonar, and original SX-70.

9. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    I remember that too, in fact a few months ago I scanned some polaroids from the 90's (early) that were taken with a Spectra camera, they look amazing and shot indoors too. I was hugely disappointed with the above, and as Matt pointed out, the box I got most likely was old impossible packaged in a new format box, in fact the battery and the dark slide say impossible on them. I am willing to try the 600 film and their new camera, but I now have a Fuji wide camera and really looking forward to using the Fuji wide BW film that has just been released.

10. MoonMind

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I was very pleased with the first couple of films I tried, but I have to say that it's a bit hit and miss. That said, nail the shot in terms of exposure, and the results are really pleasing. It's quite the roller coaster ride, to be honest. Yesterday, I used the old Polaroid Impulse AF and Polaroid Originals OneStep2 alongside each other, and in one case, the Impulse AF more or less was spot on - but really boring; whereas the OneStep2 was too dark, but quite dramatic. I chose to try the OneStep2 again, +1 compensation, and it was too bright (and soft - because I was too close to my main subject), but oh-so-pretty, wonderful overall impression. I think what I'm trying to get across is, if these cameras are used for "real" photography instead of non-descript fun shots (mostly of partying people), you have to really know them to get good results. Mostly, this means being aware of their limitations - and that of course includes the films ...

M.

11. Cerita

Cerita Veteran

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    I ended up nabbing a SX70 Sonar yesterday locally and ordered BW film for it, let me see what success (or not) I have with this combination.

12. Les Klein

Les Klein Veteran

Dec 10, 2015
    I guess I’m slow — about instant film cameras. I have a Polaroid Spectra AF camera (25 yrs old?) and I haven’t used it in about 10 maybe 15 years but I’ve always had some affection for the camera, film, and images. I followed the Impossible Project, but I never bought a film pack. Today, I “discovered” that Polaroid cameras are back (the i type) and so is film for several Polaroid formats including Spectra. I must say that I’m tempted to give it a try. I’ll do more research and wait for the opportunity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.