Please find me a friend...

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
G'day guys. It's been a while. I shan't apologise as, as...well life just takes over (or is that "gets in the way") sometimes...

So I'm after another camera, and since I've been out of the loop for so long, would really appreciate your more intimate advice. I'm after a compact camera - fixed lens or ILC - which is:
- versatile (read as zoom or ILC),
- compact form factor (X100 size),
- simple controls (think X100), and
- most importantly, a good clean and clear viewfinder. My eyes are degrading fast and I really struggle using the rear LCD. So I've noticed with the X100T I spend 95% of my time squinting through the VF.

In short I'm looking for a constant traveling companion that's with me when I forget to take the X100T, film cameras or can;t be bothered shouldering the dSLR (familiar a story)

What do I currently have?
- dSLR which sees little use :(
- Fuji X100T (love this thing so, so much. But often want wider and sometimes longer than 35mm)
- Oly TG4 (so much fun in the water, but the IQ on land is so frustrating).
....and still have a healthy clutch of film cameras both great and small.

Front runners so far are:
- LX100/D-Lux
...maybe a mu43 like the Pen F?
...I thought the Fuji X ILCs but the size of the XPro2 is a little big I think.
...then there's a host of 1" sensor cameras but I fear my experience with the RX100 and RX100ii scarred me for them for life.
NB: Oh on that note please don't suggest Sony. In addition to the RX100s I've had the A7 and A7ii and find the UI and IQ the opposite of my liking.

What do I shoot?
- well I'd class myself as a 'stroll photographer' or 'flaneur' ;).
I live rural so mainly landscapes. I like to travel and mainly away from cities so mainly landscapes. Now and again I'm venture into street but I've less courage and less capability to hazard 'street photography'. I discount wildlife as I've learned I don't much enjoy toting a 400mm lenses - second only to lacking the patience to sit in wait for that certain bird to (never) arrive.
No kids.
Some pets (esp. cows and horses)
No portraits...though the thought is always there at the back of my mind.

Not sure what else I can add, except thanks in advance and happy to answer any questions.

If this place is anything like it used to be, I'll know what I need within 3 days.

Cheers,
Mark

I find that several points of your story are very similar to my own, especially the eyes. after trying too many cameras to list, I have settled on the OMD-EM5. VF is great, the manual controls are very adequate, and the size suites me. The wife and I share the 20mm, but, I mostly carry the OM 50mm MF, on the EM5. I mostly shoot nature, with occasional product shots.
A famous outdoor photographer (whose name I can't spell) once said, that he could probably shoot 80 - 85 % of his landscape work, with just two lenses. A 24mm and a 85mm (35mm film). I guess I'm shooting with 40mm and 100mm (equiv), and don't feel too badly limited. I don't like real long lenses, because of atmospheric (haze) degradation, of the image. Wildlife would be different. And, I will probably add a wider lens to my bag some day, and maybe even a longer one. The camera body seems to be just fine. Just pick a lens and go.
There are many choices out there. So many, can cause a person to run about spending money, struggling, reaching for perfection, for every eventuality. When just one tool can challenge you to stretch your creativity, and get the shot.
Happy hunting. I finally got my trophy. Oh and my "nifty 50", cost me $5.00, at a thrift store, and it is as nice as any I have ever owned.

I find that several points of your story are very similar to my own, especially the eyes. after trying too many cameras to list, I have settled on the OMD-EM5. VF is great, the manual controls are very adequate, and the size suites me. The wife and I share the 20mm, but, I mostly carry the OM 50mm MF, on the EM5. I mostly shoot nature, with occasional product shots.
A famous outdoor photographer (whose name I can't spell) once said, that he could probably shoot 80 - 85 % of his landscape work, with just two lenses. A 24mm and a 85mm (35mm film). I guess I'm shooting with 40mm and 100mm (equiv), and don't feel too badly limited. I don't like real long lenses, because of atmospheric (haze) degradation, of the image. Wildlife would be different. And, I will probably add a wider lens to my bag some day, and maybe even a longer one. The camera body seems to be just fine. Just pick a lens and go.
There are many choices out there. So many, can cause a person to run about spending money, struggling, reaching for perfection, for every eventuality. When just one tool can challenge you to stretch your creativity, and get the shot.
Happy hunting. I finally got my trophy. Oh and my "nifty 50", cost me $5.00, at a thrift store, and it is as nice as any I have ever owned.
Thanks Stephen. Great to still see you about mate.

Yeah the eyes are degrading very fast. I appreciate what vision I still have day to day.

Out of interest, mate do you know whether all Olympus VFs are created equal? So for example is the EM5 the same as the EM5ii, EM1, EM10, PEN, etc.?

P.S., I believe the landscape photographer you're referring to is Galen Rowell. Really appreciate the memory jog - as I really respect Galen's work.

When I first got serious about photography, I read everything that I could get by Galen. He really helped me develop my "eye" for landscape work, which I still love.
As to the different VFs, I don't know, but, someone will likely drop in with a answer.

Based on strolling and wanting a bit of zoom, seems to me the LX100 might fit the bill. Pity you werent about asking this a few months back. Secondsworld does Panasonic refurbs, and I picked up an LX100 and an FZ1000 for $998 ($499 each: they do get more from time to time). Less than either would have cost new at the time, and they were both pretty much pristine. Keep an eye on them, they currently have a GX1 and a GF3 and a bunch of weatherproof compacts which clearly you dont want.

The Olympus VFs vary in size and resolution, but are remarkably consistent in feel - I'd say that even the cheapest ones are very usable (I *have* one of those in my E-M10, and I still like it very, very much in spite of having tried all the newer ones). That said, I'd probably go for the E-M5 II or the Panasonic GX8 right now when it comes to EVF quality - and the new E-M1 II will also be spectacular, but it's going to be the biggest body available as well, and if you take the X100T as a point of reference, the E-M5 II will appeal for sure whereas the GX8 and E-M1 II will appear much more DSLR-sized (they're both smaller - but not by that much).

Add one of the high-class zooms (Panasonic 12-35mm, Olympus 12-40mm, Olympus 12-100 - but that one's on the big side again), and you're good to go for most cases (95% in case of the 12-100mm). Or of course, choose a couple of primes; for stroll and street photography, the PanaLeica 15mm or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 are great, and the Panasonic 20mm is still a wonderful lens for that purpose, too - though honestly, you're set up for this with your X100T. I love the tiny Olympus 25mm and the somewhat beefier, but really impressive Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C - the latter's my favourite stroll lens for :mu43: (I like to frame a bit tighter when not doing street) due to its versatility and IQ. It's actually hard to pick a dud within the prime lineup for :mu43: (well, maybe the 17mm f/2.8 - but then only maybe).

To sum up, I think the E-M5II and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C would make a brilliant combo for stroll photography. But of course, so would a Panasonic LX100 - it's my EDC camera of choice, actually. But I still prefer the :mu43: gear for more dedicated outings ... and the Olympus EVFs over the one in the LX100 and the GX80 (it's the same unit).

M.

Have you considered buying supplementary lenses for your X100? These screw into the front of the existing lens, and I hear that the overall optical quality is good.

The WCL-X100 gives an equivalent 28mm view and the TCL-X100 gives an equivalent 50mm view. If you don't mind cropping a bit you could probably stretch that to 80mm and beyond.

-R

Have you considered buying supplementary lenses for your X100? These screw into the front of the existing lens, and I hear that the overall optical quality is good.

The WCL-X100 gives an equivalent 28mm view and the TCL-X100 gives an equivalent 50mm view. If you don't mind cropping a bit you could probably stretch that to 80mm and beyond.

-R
Hey Richard,

Yeah I've been tempted by the WCL and TCL's for the Fuji. Only issue is 28mm is not quite wide enough for landscapes. Now if the X70 had a VF then the WCL on that - giving me 21mm - would be bonzer!! Otherwise 24mm is where I'd not mind being - or starting from.

Last edited:
The Olympus VFs vary in size and resolution, but are remarkably consistent in feel - I'd say that even the cheapest ones are very usable (I *have* one of those in my E-M10, and I still like it very, very much in spite of having tried all the newer ones). That said, I'd probably go for the E-M5 II or the Panasonic GX8 right now when it comes to EVF quality - and the new E-M1 II will also be spectacular, but it's going to be the biggest body available as well, and if you take the X100T as a point of reference, the E-M5 II will appeal for sure whereas the GX8 and E-M1 II will appear much more DSLR-sized (they're both smaller - but not by that much).

Add one of the high-class zooms (Panasonic 12-35mm, Olympus 12-40mm, Olympus 12-100 - but that one's on the big side again), and you're good to go for most cases (95% in case of the 12-100mm). Or of course, choose a couple of primes; for stroll and street photography, the PanaLeica 15mm or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 are great, and the Panasonic 20mm is still a wonderful lens for that purpose, too - though honestly, you're set up for this with your X100T. I love the tiny Olympus 25mm and the somewhat beefier, but really impressive Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C - the latter's my favourite stroll lens for :mu43: (I like to frame a bit tighter when not doing street) due to its versatility and IQ. It's actually hard to pick a dud within the prime lineup for :mu43: (well, maybe the 17mm f/2.8 - but then only maybe).

To sum up, I think the E-M5II and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C would make a brilliant combo for stroll photography. But of course, so would a Panasonic LX100 - it's my EDC camera of choice, actually. But I still prefer the :mu43: gear for more dedicated outings ... and the Olympus EVFs over the one in the LX100 and the GX80 (it's the same unit).

M.
Matt,

Lots to digest here. THANKS MATE!

Rather than hit you with 100 Qs at once, one thing does strike me immediately. Can you comment on the main difference in shooting the LX100 vs. one of the smaller mu43s? VF, UI (& handling), AF speeds, IQ, etc. Don't mean to trouble you for a 15 minute comparative analysis but would be keen on the major differences between the two - esp. why/when you'd grab for the larger mu43 kit over the LX100.

Based on strolling and wanting a bit of zoom, seems to me the LX100 might fit the bill. Pity you werent about asking this a few months back. Secondsworld does Panasonic refurbs, and I picked up an LX100 and an FZ1000 for $998 ($499 each: they do get more from time to time). Less than either would have cost new at the time, and they were both pretty much pristine. Keep an eye on them, they currently have a GX1 and a GF3 and a bunch of weatherproof compacts which clearly you dont want.

Ah ha Sue, Sue, Sue how do you do? It has been a while ma'am.

Never heard of this SecondsWorld mob. Thanks for the heads-up....kinda glad I'd not heard of them earlier - as even Ryda has gotten me into trouble a few times in the past.

The LX100 remains out front for me so far - esp. after spying the outputs on the LX100 Image Thread....of which I believe you've contributed to during this year. You two seem to be getting along quite well!

The LX100 looks right to me, but I wonder how good it still is three years on? Not being a snob as I loved my GF1 for a long time, but since I'm buying today I have to look at what's on offer today....esp. while I have the money (which I may not in a few months time)

So looks like you've had the LX100 for a few months now, what are your thoughts?

...meanwhile off to 2nds World!

I'm with Richard. the TCL and WCL combo is the logical answer. Fuji X100T plus—real-world enhancements and accessories This is a tremendous lightweight and capable setup - truly go-anywhere and even with my kit world now largely complete in the form of the X-Pro2 and "holy trinity" of 23mm f2, 35mm f2 and 60mm f2.4 I still carry that setup regularly just to save the extra space and weight.

However the slightly longer and more complex answer is to wait for the X100F which will see the light of day next year. I am 100% certain that along with the 24mp sensor and a recomputed 23mm (much as I personally would like to see a 27mm) lens we will see a digital crop mode replacing the TCL.

If you want to go to 21, what about snagging a Ricoh GR and the GW-3 21mm adaptor? It's an extra bit of kit to carry, but an immensely capable camera in its own right.

I'm with Richard. the TCL and WCL combo is the logical answer. Fuji X100T plus—real-world enhancements and accessories This is a tremendous lightweight and capable setup - truly go-anywhere and even with my kit world now largely complete in the form of the X-Pro2 and "holy trinity" of 23mm f2, 35mm f2 and 60mm f2.4 I still carry that setup regularly just to save the extra space and weight.

However the slightly longer and more complex answer is to wait for the X100F which will see the light of day next year. I am 100% certain that along with the 24mp sensor and a recomputed 23mm (much as I personally would like to see a 27mm) lens we will see a digital crop mode replacing the TCL.

If you want to go to 21, what about snagging a Ricoh GR and the GW-3 21mm adaptor? It's an extra bit of kit to carry, but an immensely capable camera in its own right.

Thanks Bill.

Mate if the TCL stretched things out to 24mm on the X100 then I'd be all over it like white on rice - 28mm is just not that far off the 35mm for me. If I went the 21mm option via adapter I'd probably go the X70 route - as I click with the Fuji UI. Only issue - much like with the GR - is the lack of a VF. That there stops the show for me unfortunately.

Matt,

Lots to digest here. THANKS MATE!

Rather than hit you with 100 Qs at once, one thing does strike me immediately. Can you comment on the main difference in shooting the LX100 vs. one of the smaller mu43s? VF, UI (& handling), AF speeds, IQ, etc. Don't mean to trouble you for a 15 minute comparative analysis but would be keen on the major differences between the two - esp. why/when you'd grab for the larger mu43 kit over the LX100.
No bother at all :)

Let's start with basic IQ: I'm a RAW shooter first and foremost, but I compared JPEGs. The latest Panasonic cameras (I own the GX80) are different, but on par with Olympus JPEGs up to ISO 800, after that, Panasonic go for detail, Olympus go for colour. The LX100 does have a decent JPEG engine, but can't compete with neither the Olympus nor with Panasonic's latest. RAW files, however, while a bit noisier, hold up very well. I'd use the LX100 up to ISO 800 with no reservations whatsoever, and up to ISO 3200 if you can deal with either the noise or the detail loss you have to put up with in post. Very solid. However, even the E-M10 (which is one generation older than the LX100) beats the LX100 on all counts: resolution, detail, noise, dynamic range, you name it. So, if best :mu43: IQ is of importance, one of the latest Panasonics (I myself find the GX80/85 hard to beat) or any Olympus body will deliver just that (I personally think the 16MP sensors are great - the 20MP ones are more of a novelty than a necessity in my book).

I also prefer the Olympus EVFs to the one in the LX100 - the latter being very detailed and rich in colour, but also a bit less eye-friendly, in spite of its superior resolution when compared to the E-M10's (which is the "weakest" of the Olympus EVFs - but no slouch at all!). The camera that strikes me as the worst deal in that regard is the PEN-F - quite expensive, but the same EVF as the E-M10 II; it's a nice unit, but the one from the E-M5 II (or E-M1) is a clear step-up - it's the one I would have expected in the PEN-F as well. The E-M5 II is the clear recommendation if size *and* EVF quality are important (it's what I'd choose if I wasn't so happy with the original E-M10 overall).

UI - that's difficult. Menus on the Panasonic are expansive, but easier to navigate than on the Olympus. But once you've got the Olympus menu down, it's actually the more accurate one, and I personally prefer the Olympus way of going about things. For instance, Panasonic couples spot metering and AF point - useful at times, but a nuisance once you try to pre-meter (spot meter, then AEL, then (re-)compose, then set AF point to really nail focus to suit the scene) since it'll revoke AEL once you move the AF point. Olympus gives you a true spot meter (spot in the middle of the frame) and keep AEL when you move the AF point. I prefer that by a large margin. As for the classic interface of the LX100 compared to the two-dial interfaces on the E-M* and GX cameras, both have their advantages and downsides. If you tend to preset your camera, the LX100 makes that extremely straightforward - you get to choose all parameters except ISO via the dedicated dials. The exposure compensation dial is pretty easy to turn accidentally, though. The Olympus keeps settings when you switch it off, whereas you can set up the Panasonic to start up in a defined state (custom setting, C mode). What's preferable depends on your shooting style - I find both ways useful at times (I have put together a "street" mode on my GX80 that allows me to switch on and snap, for instance), but frankly, it's a draw since none's perfect (i.e. as configurable as it would need to be to get the best of both approaches). I personally tend to favour the Olympus way, but like the GX80 and LX100 - different as they are, even between themselves - a lot as well, and after a couple of shots, each cameras comes into its own.

Finally, AF speed. Panasonic takes the crown here - the LX100's AF system matches that of the GX80, which is a fantastic feat in a compact camera. When it comes to continuos AF, however, you have to choose between sedate, yet quite accurate (Olympus) and jittery, but better at acquiring focus. Neither system will begin to match what even a mid-range DSLR can do, however. If your subject moves at a moderate pace, you may get lucky. Single AF is great on both systems, but that's where Panasonic has an edge - sometimes decisively so.

What do I grab? Well, if size is a factor, the LX100 wins. It spares me any further thought, yet is competent and nice to handle, and the files are pleasing. But usually, if I can take a bag with me, I reach for one of the ILCs - the E-M10 with the ECG-1 grip being my favourite when I'm not sure what I'm going to run into; together with the 12-40mm, it's a small powerhouse of a camera that lets me shoot most things with ease and confidence. If I want small and fast, the GX80 wins - paired with the Olympus 25mm, I have a setup that gives me all the advantages of the RF style (size, speed, unobstrusiveness - including silent shutter) while packing all the punch of the E-M10, if a bit less accessible at times. The GX80 is the camera with the best feature set, by the way.

One last thing, however: If I want to maximise output quality while still keeping things manageable, I choose differently: I pick the Nikon D5500 with either the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 A or the gigantic, yet gorgeous Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 A. The D5500/30mm combo is hardly any bigger than the E-M10/12-40mm, clearly less versatile, but delivers stunning files (not the ultimate in sharpness, maybe, but colour and overall rendering are just wonderful). The 18-35mm is the best zoom lens I've ever shot with - the 12-40mm is among the top three as well, but good as it may be, the Sigma outclasses it (well, it does that with everything I have compared it to so far - even stuff three times its price); that's why I'm often willing to put up with its size and weight.

Bottom line? The E-M10 II or E-M5 II are the most desirable :mu43: bodies in my personal view, closely followed by the GX80/85 - though the latter wins outright if you prefer RF style bodies (as your choice of the X100T indicates). That's not to say the other offerings are bad in any way - in particular, the LX100 is still one lovely compact camera that actually delivers the goods in terms of IQ as well, and of course, the "high-end" bodies are even more capable. But for me, the small ILCs win on most counts, and they open up a much wider field of possibilities, that's why I use them so often, even though I have "better" cameras available.

M.

I've never used one, but since nobody mentioned it so far I just wanted to throw it out there:
Maybe a Fuji XE2 or XE2s with the 16-50mm? Should be compact enough and still keep you in Fuji-Land? :)

Does anyone know how good the XE2 viewfinders are?

Good suggestion, Tilman. The EVF on both the X100T and X-E2 is the same 2360 dot unit. I have both and there is really nothing to choose. The X-E2 with the 27mm 2.8 is a good combo for street and travel at a fraction of the cost of an X100T. The BIG difference, of course, is the OVF...

OK much to the Mods relief I'm sure, I've found the multi-quote function :blush:

I do know what you mean. Though Ricoh do have a hotshoe mount OVF with 28 and 21mm framelines...
Hmmmm...OVF is certainly helps for framing, but I suppose I've beocome lazier in my old age and want a little WYSIWYG.

and one doesn't get clearer and brighter than an OVF
...and gems don;t come much brighter than our very own McLuke. How are you bro?
I'm not going to ask what you're up to, or what you're shooting nowadays, as it will only fill me with envy I'm sure. Hope you are top of the world my old cobber.

I've never used one, but since nobody mentioned it so far I just wanted to throw it out there:
Maybe a Fuji XE2 or XE2s with the 16-50mm? Should be compact enough and still keep you in Fuji-Land? :)

Does anyone know how good the XE2 viewfinders are?

Goodness me, Tilman, great to see you. Seems like the party on here never ended. I'd not be disappointed to remain in the lands of Fuji. I did spy the XPro2 mind and was struck with its size. But shouldn't let this flavour how I think sizing for the XE-line might be.

No bother at all :)

Let's start with basic IQ: I'm a RAW shooter first and foremost, but I compared JPEGs. The latest Panasonic cameras (I own the GX80) are different, but on par with Olympus JPEGs up to ISO 800, after that, Panasonic go for detail, Olympus go for colour. The LX100 does have a decent JPEG engine, but can't compete with neither the Olympus nor with Panasonic's latest. RAW files, however, while a bit noisier, hold up very well. I'd use the LX100 up to ISO 800 with no reservations whatsoever, and up to ISO 3200 if you can deal with either the noise or the detail loss you have to put up with in post. Very solid. However, even the E-M10 (which is one generation older than the LX100) beats the LX100 on all counts: resolution, detail, noise, dynamic range, you name it. So, if best :mu43: IQ is of importance, one of the latest Panasonics (I myself find the GX80/85 hard to beat) or any Olympus body will deliver just that (I personally think the 16MP sensors are great - the 20MP ones are more of a novelty than a necessity in my book).

I also prefer the Olympus EVFs to the one in the LX100 - the latter being very detailed and rich in colour, but also a bit less eye-friendly, in spite of its superior resolution when compared to the E-M10's (which is the "weakest" of the Olympus EVFs - but no slouch at all!). The camera that strikes me as the worst deal in that regard is the PEN-F - quite expensive, but the same EVF as the E-M10 II; it's a nice unit, but the one from the E-M5 II (or E-M1) is a clear step-up - it's the one I would have expected in the PEN-F as well. The E-M5 II is the clear recommendation if size *and* EVF quality are important (it's what I'd choose if I wasn't so happy with the original E-M10 overall).

UI - that's difficult. Menus on the Panasonic are expansive, but easier to navigate than on the Olympus. But once you've got the Olympus menu down, it's actually the more accurate one, and I personally prefer the Olympus way of going about things. For instance, Panasonic couples spot metering and AF point - useful at times, but a nuisance once you try to pre-meter (spot meter, then AEL, then (re-)compose, then set AF point to really nail focus to suit the scene) since it'll revoke AEL once you move the AF point. Olympus gives you a true spot meter (spot in the middle of the frame) and keep AEL when you move the AF point. I prefer that by a large margin. As for the classic interface of the LX100 compared to the two-dial interfaces on the E-M* and GX cameras, both have their advantages and downsides. If you tend to preset your camera, the LX100 makes that extremely straightforward - you get to choose all parameters except ISO via the dedicated dials. The exposure compensation dial is pretty easy to turn accidentally, though. The Olympus keeps settings when you switch it off, whereas you can set up the Panasonic to start up in a defined state (custom setting, C mode). What's preferable depends on your shooting style - I find both ways useful at times (I have put together a "street" mode on my GX80 that allows me to switch on and snap, for instance), but frankly, it's a draw since none's perfect (i.e. as configurable as it would need to be to get the best of both approaches). I personally tend to favour the Olympus way, but like the GX80 and LX100 - different as they are, even between themselves - a lot as well, and after a couple of shots, each cameras comes into its own.

Finally, AF speed. Panasonic takes the crown here - the LX100's AF system matches that of the GX80, which is a fantastic feat in a compact camera. When it comes to continuos AF, however, you have to choose between sedate, yet quite accurate (Olympus) and jittery, but better at acquiring focus. Neither system will begin to match what even a mid-range DSLR can do, however. If your subject moves at a moderate pace, you may get lucky. Single AF is great on both systems, but that's where Panasonic has an edge - sometimes decisively so.

What do I grab? Well, if size is a factor, the LX100 wins. It spares me any further thought, yet is competent and nice to handle, and the files are pleasing. But usually, if I can take a bag with me, I reach for one of the ILCs - the E-M10 with the ECG-1 grip being my favourite when I'm not sure what I'm going to run into; together with the 12-40mm, it's a small powerhouse of a camera that lets me shoot most things with ease and confidence. If I want small and fast, the GX80 wins - paired with the Olympus 25mm, I have a setup that gives me all the advantages of the RF style (size, speed, unobstrusiveness - including silent shutter) while packing all the punch of the E-M10, if a bit less accessible at times. The GX80 is the camera with the best feature set, by the way.

One last thing, however: If I want to maximise output quality while still keeping things manageable, I choose differently: I pick the Nikon D5500 with either the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 A or the gigantic, yet gorgeous Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 A. The D5500/30mm combo is hardly any bigger than the E-M10/12-40mm, clearly less versatile, but delivers stunning files (not the ultimate in sharpness, maybe, but colour and overall rendering are just wonderful). The 18-35mm is the best zoom lens I've ever shot with - the 12-40mm is among the top three as well, but good as it may be, the Sigma outclasses it (well, it does that with everything I have compared it to so far - even stuff three times its price); that's why I'm often willing to put up with its size and weight.

Bottom line? The E-M10 II or E-M5 II are the most desirable :mu43: bodies in my personal view, closely followed by the GX80/85 - though the latter wins outright if you prefer RF style bodies (as your choice of the X100T indicates). That's not to say the other offerings are bad in any way - in particular, the LX100 is still one lovely compact camera that actually delivers the goods in terms of IQ as well, and of course, the "high-end" bodies are even more capable. But for me, the small ILCs win on most counts, and they open up a much wider field of possibilities, that's why I use them so often, even though I have "better" cameras available.

M.

Bugger me Matt. Another upsized meal right here. Thanks mate.

In the short term I'm off to do some research on the cameras you've mentioned and will drop in again once I have framed a more erudite and cogent set of questions. Meanwhile I have to say that I'm blown away with your generosity. Newbie questions on what camera should I buy can be frustrating at best, and you have responded with aplomb. Again, thanks mate....for this, and the patience you'll need to survive my next round of questions.

I'll keep this short, simple and sweet and let you come back with any questions.

I'd get either the EM5 Mk II or the PEN-F as a body.
Pick up a used Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom and shoot it in anti-shock mode.
Get an Oly 40-150/4-5.6R lens for the times you want reach for $99 (used or refurb sales).

As a walk around I prefer the ergonomics of he PEN-F, but on the off chance you'll want to do any kind of video, the EM5.2 is better there.

I'm not much of a landscape photographer, meaning that I don't usually set out to do those specific things. When I do I know I do not need the fastest glass, just good quality at around f/5.6-8.
Got these a few weeks ago using the PEN-F and the Panasonic 12-32. If you want wider, I highly recommend the Olympus 9-18 for its small size.

10-29-2016_PEN-F_street_PA290003-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10-29-2016_PEN-F_street_PA290001.jpg

10-29-2016_PEN-F_street_PA290021.jpg

I'll keep this short, simple and sweet and let you come back with any questions.

I'd get either the EM5 Mk II or the PEN-F as a body.
Pick up a used Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom and shoot it in anti-shock mode.
Get an Oly 40-150/4-5.6R lens for the times you want reach for $99 (used or refurb sales).

As a walk around I prefer the ergonomics of he PEN-F, but on the off chance you'll want to do any kind of video, the EM5.2 is better there.

I'm not much of a landscape photographer, meaning that I don't usually set out to do those specific things. When I do I know I do not need the fastest glass, just good quality at around f/5.6-8.
Got these a few weeks ago using the PEN-F and the Panasonic 12-32. If you want wider, I highly recommend the Olympus 9-18 for its small size.

View attachment 121188

View attachment 121189

View attachment 121190
Some nice examples right there Andrew. Thanks for sharing.

It's like you read my mind mate. I was looking at the GX85/GX80 (why must they make it confusing!) as suggested by @MoonMind and seems the most likely pairing to make the camera 'pocketable' is the 12-32mm. This combo beefs up the GX combo to proportions comparable to the LX100. The IQ doesn't seem too shabby, nor do the ergonomics. Admittedly the speed is an issue - having slowed down to f4.5 very fast, but you are spot-on - most landscape would be stopped down in order to get what you want in frame sharp. However, the lenses versatility starts to diminish somewhat when you need it for something other than landscapes on a fine day and the slow aperture starts restricting what you can do indoors. This really is testimony to the feat of engineering of compacts like the LX100. Granted we're not using the whole 4/3 sensor here but even taking equivalency into account the f1.8-2.8 across the 24-75 range for something of this size is astounding. The 12-32 comes close in size but in speed - oh my!

And whether we are talking Olympus or Panasonic, this is where the slope starts to become slippery. Body sizes seem very reasonable on spec, but then add the lens you desire - for me something like the 12 and 25 f1.8s - and all of a sudden things start to bloat. Not a complaint about their direction - these guys are coming closest to the vision of Oscar Barnack all those years ago - but more that you start looking for that compact camera, then you move to a compact camera and lens, then in minutes you arrive at a system.

BTW: I'm not much into video, so the differences of EM5 and PEN don't much come into play. The great decider if I went down the system route would be IQ, UI and that darn VF - with regards to the latter this I want the best I can.

Back