Birds pileated woodpecker has its way with a tree near our yard

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
HX400V pileated 002.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
HX400V pileated 010.JPG
HX400V pileated 013.JPG

HX400V . . . wonderful camera! (Bottom two have heavy duty digital zoom engaged, hence the impressionist look :D)

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
Really cool, Jock! I've been hearing the woodpeckers doing their thing over the last couple of weeks again - maybe because spring is around? Or maybe i just wasnt attentive during the winter...

Really cool, Jock! I've been hearing the woodpeckers doing their thing over the last couple of weeks again - maybe because spring is around? Or maybe i just wasnt attentive during the winter...

The pileated woodpeckers are very large birds -- nearly the size of a crow -- but very shy. I tried approaching closer, but the pileated just slipped around the other side of the trunk so I couldn't see him.

IMHO, what makes the HX400V so special is the combo of long reach -- 1200mm e without digital zoom -- and a really terrific manual focus capability -- an actual ring on the lens barrel that allows me to focus on the bird and not the branches that might fool the autofocus. My FZ200 was better in low light, but the manual focus was much more difficult to fine tune.

Also, the HX400V produces very punchy images -- those above are SOOC.

Cheers, Jock

Back