oly 14-42 mk II: very fast focus
Panny 12-32 pancake: very very fast focus
Oly 40-150: very fast
Panny 20mm: reasonable to fast. Faster than it was on my e-pl2

Bad light:
oly 14-42: reasonable
panny 12-32 pancake: reasonable
40-150: reasonable to slow
panny 20mm: Sometimes reasonable, other times its hunting season.

C-AF/Tracking just doesn't work at all very well.

that is very, very useful thanks v much for that.

Also partially explains - it was the 40-150 that was on the model on display

Thanks Jason.

I found that pressing up / down / sideways to select different shutter / aperture settings a most non intuitive way of doing it instead of turning the wheel - a strange idea. Smacks of Apples approach - lets do things differnetly .. not becuase they're better but we're us and we like to be different (insert roll eyse smiley)

Yes, after having had the Oly EPL-5 for getting on 12 months now I can vouch for it's reluctance of the A/F to "latch on" to a subject in low light. In every other respect we get along just fine, focus speed in good light is adequate and I'm genuinely very fond of it - it's got great character and I'm well up to speed with the menu system which is ok once you get to know it. I picked up a couple of legacy lenses for it before settng off on a European road trip in June, a Pentax 50mm f1.7 and a Carl Zeiss 135mm f3,5mm. The camera came with me on another road trip to Scotland in August and it'll be with me again in May next year when we go to Norway - but the Canon will be coming on that trip as well, it still beats the Oly in out and out image performance.

I have posted this link before but there are some shots here taken back in June on our Euro tour, the Oly was also used for the out of car videos on the trip:

http://www.dewisant-photography.net/y_ogb_europe_2014_page_1.htm

A good choice - and plenty of room for growth ...

I've had my E-Pl5 for a few months now - alongside my E-P3. In every respect the better camera except a control wheel for shutter or apeture would be great. Focus is better than anything else I've used, including Pentax K7, esp in low light. Only issue I've had with focus is as expected on low contrast targets - the main thing is to use the smallest focus box size for fastest results. Still beats the pants off the Pentax DSLR.

It is barely bigger than my Canon G10 and with a compact prime fits comfortably in a jacket pocket. And the 16MP sensor is very good indeed.

One of the best aspects is the MySets feature where you can basically create a custom setting of mode and almost every paramter (eg AF mode, fps, file quality, ISO mode, exposure compensation etc) to a mode on the PASM dial.

I highly recommend you have a good read about setting up the E-PL5 at Guy Parsons site: E-PL5 comments. Also a good review at The Olympus E-PL5 PEN Lite review: a mini-OM-D.

It is worth the effort to research its capabilites and you will find it can tackle almost everything you can ask for.

Back