Photo Ninja

I'm pretty happy with Photo Ninja. Does an outstanding job with Highlight Recovery and High Contrast images.

I only wish you could have more than one of the "adjustment modules/sections" open at the same time.
E.g. jumping back and forth between "Exposure and Detail" and "Color Enhancement" (which I do often) is more clicks than it needs to be...

After seeing what Rico (flysurfer) was demonstrating with it, I downloaded the demo and subsequently bought it. I agree that it's the best RAW converter for Fujifilml for sure.

It's definitely a pleasure to work with Jim and Brian. They are both very quick and flexible in providing RAW support to new camera models, even though Fuji (and other camera makers) seem to ignore them when it comes to provide inside support. Hopefully, this will change in the future. Great job, they both deserve our attention, and I can only recommend to have a look at the free trials of their respective products Photo Ninja and Iridient Developer.

though Fuji (and other camera makers) seem to ignore them when it comes to provide inside support. .

Would be nice if a version of Photo Ninja became the bundled software for Fuji X, but its never going to happen. Despite being the best at 'unlocking' the files, it's far too 'dangerous' to let photographers loose with. They might fail to apply the appropriate noise reduction, and we can't have that can we?

I have been using Photo Ninja for many of my images for some time now and have been pleased with the results but did notice noisier images than if I used an alternative editor to process the same image, but now I realise why that is, so I might well return to Photo Ninja more often and see if it does a "better job" than another editor.

Barrie

I have been using Photo Ninja for many of my images for some time now and have been pleased with the results but did notice noisier images than if I used an alternative editor to process the same image, but now I realise why that is, so I might well return to Photo Ninja more often and see if it does a "better job" than another editor.

Barrie

Yes I noticed the same thing, which is why I decided to try and get an answer as to whether it was intentional or not. Personally I prefer sharper + more noise versus softer + less noise. There are lots of ways to reduce noise in an image, and Photo Ninja has them too with Noise Ninja, but its far harder to reinstate genuine sharpness on a softened / noise reduced file. One of the reasons I've been so enthusiastic about PN is the lack of 'background' NR going on before I can even start to process a raw file. What Adobe / Fuji (whoever is to blame) do to Fuji X files is an obvious example. These files have been a revelation in PN, finally showing the benefits of no AA filter.

It's interesting that Jim Christian makes the case that much of how a Raw Processor works is down to the developer and choices that are made. And his explanation of his choices is fascinating. I can see that not everybody wants that, and there are lots of occasions when I don't myself, but it's nice to have the option.

One of the reasons that I asked for and published his comments, is that being a small company it's possible to make contact with the people who design the software. He originally contacted me about some comments I made on my blog about the user interface and it's possible to have a dialogue in cases like this . Doing that with Adobe, Apple and Phase One is virtually impossible unless you are one of their chosen few.

I really like the software and I'm happy to try to make it better known, because I know that I'm not alone in preferring to process my raw files this way. I'm not getting anything out of it, I'm paying for it just like anybody else, but in these days of homogeneity and corporate 'take it or leave it' attitudes I think it's great for something like this to be a different option. I like it, but I make no claims that it's the answer or the right choice for everybody. Neither is Jim Christian. But the more informed we are about choices can only benefit us, as far as I'm concerned.

I've spent the last couple of days playing with Photo Ninja on a trial licence and really enjoyed using it with the XTrans files. Yes ,it's good.

I would love to buy but it's a whopping $159 for me with tax and then just for a limited one year licence ( that's while we basically test their beta software)

As an existing user of Capture One and Lightroom the much cheaper upgrade costs are more realistic .

Another recent PN fan here. I use LR by default but compared some shots processed with LR, Iridient, Capture One, the newest version of Aperture and PN. The only software that brought me satisfying results is PN. So I am thinking more or less about the following workflow:

1. Import RAW-files in LR (with my standard preset).
2. Select keepers
3. Process favourite RAWs in PN and export as TIFF into LR.
4. Do final touch on TIFF in LR, e.g. apply VSCO-preset.
5. Finetune others in LR because for many photos it's not worth the effort.

I haven't used PN much yet because I just purchased it. But all in all, I'm impressed and ready/willing to revise the workflow.

Peter N.

Interestingly the P and the N of Photo Ninja are also the letters of my first and last name so every time I see PN, I think "hey, it's about me ;-)

My two week trial of Photo Ninja ended this afternoon and I felt bereft.
Try as I might I've not been able to get such satisfying results from Lightroom 5 so taking a deep breath I bought a copy.

After two weeks it felt like essential software.

I'll add my cheers to seeing you over here, as well, David AKA soundimageplus!:th_salute:

Good for you, Dennis. This is a timely thread since I was just asking Garry what he was using for his new XE-1.

Back