Pentax Pentax K-01 In-Depth Review

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I wasn't sure where to post this, but a full, in-depth review of the Pentax K-01 is now up on Pentax Forums. One might think that it would be biased in favor of the camera since it's a Pentax site, but Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

I wasn't sure where to post this, but a full, in-depth review of the Pentax K-01 is now up on Pentax Forums. One might think that it would be biased in favor of the camera since it's a Pentax site, but Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

looking good, too bad it looks so bad ...;)

Nice detailed review. I was actually surprised how well (not quick by any means, but seemed fairly accurate) it focused in low light.

Every once in a while, I get in my head that this would be fun to have with a 15mm LTD lens permanently mounted for landscapes and walk around architecture. You would have a relatively compact package with that great Pentax APS-C sensor performance (and IBIS to boot).

Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.

It's good that you point this out, else I wouldn't have read that review past the very first image, which shows the K-01 and K-5 with grip side by side for size comparison. I really can't see one reason to show the K-5 with its grip, apart from trying the make the K-01 look smaller that it really is.

Apart from that, I've skimmed through the review and I've found it interesting and well detailed.

I really wanted to like the K-01 (being a Pentax fan) but I just absolutely HATE the design. I think its gross, looks like a child's toy, and spoils what might otherwise have been a very appealing alternative to my current gear. I'm sure many many people will buy. Its at a great price for what it is... but... I just cannot get my head around the design at all. I'd even prefer the Q... and I don't like that, either.

That was a great review. If the K-1 had a built-in EVF like the Nikon V1 it would be more promising because otherwise it looks like an interesting camera. But to not have any EVF option is a deal breaker.

After reading the review I have decided the K-01 isn't for me. I'll probably either get a new lens for my micro four-thirds kit or perhaps pick up a Sony NEX 5N just for fun. I'd like to try the NEX system - just for fun and curiosity's sake - and this would be a way to get the same sensor that's in the K-5 and K-01.

I actually kinda like the design, it sorta has a German minimalist thing going for me. I wish the pancake lens were 30 or 35mm, 40mm is too long for me (but I wasn't considering this camera anyway.)

This seems like a great option though for existing Pentax users. I wonder how fast the AF is with other Pentax primes.

I actually kinda like the design, it sorta has a German minimalist thing going for me. I wish the pancake lens were 30 or 35mm, 40mm is too long for me (but I wasn't considering this camera anyway.)

This seems like a great option though for existing Pentax users. I wonder how fast the AF is with other Pentax primes.

I still don't love the design, though, the black and white is strangely appealing (I still want a stormtrooper suit as well!). But I went for the black version, which I think is pretty unobtrusive.

They do have pancakes in other focal ranges, for example 35mm equiv., but they are just really little, not super tiny. :D Oh, and they aren't all that fast.

Back