Micro 4/3 Pany LX6 rumor -- bigger sensor?

Thanks for this link. I would love to see larger sensors in these cams. Of course, bokeh is going to be something many will be nuts about, I am more interested in how they help dynamic range. As it is in this class, the fast lenses have some disadvantages due to limited DR and there can be a razor sharp line, or less than ideal one, when trying to protect highlights and still preserve shadow detail without introducing noise from fill light.

It is a "joke", though, so let's see. However, I'd be inclined to believe that Panny would be the next one to up the sensor size in this class. Canon has already invested in their new style sensor, so that will be around for a couple years. Samsung is probably as good as out, as they go for cams that are made for people that like myspace voodoo shots of themselves.

With luck, the MP count will still be conservative. So far, the x10 as an on-paper jump as the first real one in several years in this class, so we'll see how well it manifests in reality.

I'm not brand-loyal, so whomever comes up with the best combo is where I go.

That was verbatim what was in the first posting. Let's hope it's not a joke on the part of the Panasonic guy. Maybe they're gauging interest and certainly, Panasonic has the ability to make just about any sensor it wants.

It's now clear that, after a status quo that lasted several years and was marked by incremental improvements to cameras, we are now in the middle of a wholesale product overhaul that involves a substantial upgrade to every camera class.

Sure, it began slowly with the introduction of micro four thirds. But it was Fuji that brought action to the compact class. If I think about it too much, I could become very annoyed with the camera makers. Because the quick response to the X100 and X10 makes it obvious that they could have given us better cameras a long time ago and simply chose not to.

And don't underestimate the importance of cellphone cameras in all of this. Improved phonecams are going to eat the lunch of low-end digicams and have awakened camera makers from their slumber and/or complacence.

Right now, I don't think I'd be quick to jump on any of the latest and greatest compacts - unless circumstances dictate that you must buy a camera now. I think a far better strategy is to wait and see what 2012 brings us... and then select from the bounty that is offered to us.

After my DLux4 , my LX5 never really satisfied me.
Sure the LX5 had advantages over the LX3 but image quality at base ISO wasn't one of them. Panasonic have revealed how disappointed they were with sales falling below other LX models so clearly something has to change. I suspect it will be body size as much as anything else.

Given the larger sensors fitted to the Nikon 1 , Fuji X10 , the new rumoured Canon G1x and the ever smaller m4/3 cameras it makes sense to produce a product to compete.
Personally I can't wait to see what G Series camera Canon produces if the 1.5" sensor is correct.

Perhaps the cell phone is supplementing the truly pocketable top end camera. I know in recent years I've used mine more and more.

Following all these links has given me total camera meltdown.... I have been looking around for a camera to give me a bit more than my LX5 is giving me at the moments... but after looking at Leica & Panasonic rumours... think I'll wait till Photokina 2012... and make a choice then.

Back