Panasonic Panasonic TZ100 w/ 1" sensor

I have the LX100 and the IQ to me in most cases is very underwhelming. The RX100 line and FZ1000 / RX10 with their 1" sensors produce nicer, crisper images. I'm convinced it's all down to how the lens draws onto the sensor at different focal lengths that makes a good quality image. Perhaps the LX100 with a different lens would make it better. I know the sensor is up to the job but I just don't like the majority of images (IQ) I take with the LX100. I'll be selling the LX100 soon and keeping my RX100 Mk3.

Saying that it is great for Mono conversion.

My experience is exactly opposite. Had the LX100, FZ1000 and RX100mk3. Thought they were all good, but that the LX was clearly "best in class".

I have the LX100 and if image quality from the TZ100 even roughly matches it, I'll be a happy camper indeed. But if Andy is right, we all have to praise him as the sage that he undoubtedly is. :)

I also hope that Panasonic will price the TZ100 well below competing cameras from Sony, as they did with the TZ1000. Sony was forced to lower the price of the RX10 as a result.

Last edited:
At more than a 700mm crop, a lot of the IQ problems at the long end of that lens have to do with atmospheric distortions.
I thought my ZS50 resolution was excellent at full zoom. The big problem is the air between the far-away stuff. Oopsie - Just realized my post was redundant.

My experience is exactly opposite. Had the LX100, FZ1000 and RX100mk3. Thought they were all good, but that the LX was clearly "best in class".
I may just have a 'bad copy' but other images I have seen have the same results. There are many many great images out there that are what I would expect from the LX100. Perhaps it's me?

I stated I was going to sell the LX100 but I'm not so sure now as I was going to get the new Olympus Pen when It comes out but now I'm thinking of concentrating on some really decent glass for my A7 which is the dogs whatsits!! :D

Ditto for the ZS40 aka TZ60. Resolution at full zoom is better than wide.

I've already tentatively decided (not sure if 'already tentatively' is a contradiction) to get the Panasonic with the 25-250 equivalent and one-inch sensor, since it's about the same size as the ZS50, Nikon Coolpix A, LX7, etc. - which fit my existing Leica 18727 case.

I may just have a 'bad copy' but other images I have seen have the same results. There are many many great images out there that are what I would expect from the LX100. Perhaps it's me? I stated I was going to sell the LX100 but I'm not so sure now as I was going to get the new Olympus Pen when It comes out but now I'm thinking of concentrating on some really decent glass for my A7 which is the dogs whatsits!! :D

I like the convenience of the LX100, but the tradeoffs show. I sometimes use the film term 'latitude', and the LX100 seems to have a narrow latitude.

I've already tentatively decided (not sure if 'already tentatively' is a contradiction) to get the Panasonic with the 25-250 equivalent and one-inch sensor, since it's about the same size as the ZS50, Nikon Coolpix A, LX7, etc. - which fit my existing Leica 18727 case.

Yes, I strongly suspect, barring any nasty surprises, that I too will be picking up the TZ100. If the battery and charger is the same as the LX100, I may try them together as a travel/vacation kit. If it works out, I could see myself unloading a few other cameras. But I'll probably hang onto my ZS-50. That camera can be surprisingly useful in the right situation.

I like the convenience of the LX100, but the tradeoffs show. I sometimes use the film term 'latitude', and the LX100 seems to have a narrow latitude.
That's probably the problem then! I'm glad I'm not the only one LOL.

I spent the day with the RX100 MkIII today in poor rainy conditions and it performed brilliantly!!! SO pleased with it!!

Last edited:
Funnily, the compact I use the most, and find most pleasing in terms of overall look, is the Panasonic LX7. The LX100 looks like a pretty decent camera, but I feel like I'd be comparing it with a m43 camera and primes or the excellent Pana zooms, which is unfair but still a bit of a drawback. If I were to use a 1" sensor camera with IQ that is above the LX7, I'd be less inclined to compare it with a m43 camera like the Panasonic GM1 and a nice Oly prime, which would lessen negative comparisons, if that makes sense.

It looks like we have to wait a few weeks for reviews... For now:

lumix_tz100_zooming.gif

Last edited:
Back