Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX / Leica D-LUX Image Thread

Been trying out the LX5

I barely know what I'm doing with this little beauty of a camera, but I have taken a few that I'll add in here just because. Haven't decided whether to keep her or not. She's doesn't quite fit in my pockets. I don't wear Levis though Don may force me to soon.;)

Here is a photograph I took of my dog, not even realizing what the settings were on the camera besides the aperture.

5072908759_6d687ba506_b.jpg

f/5 @ 1/20th ISO 640 after a mini lesson on Silver Efex Pro with my mentor

5075358858_773e715d98_b.jpg

LX5 f/8 @ 1/30th ISO 320 w/Silver Efex

Took this just a little while ago. Tried out the live view viewfinder and didn't care for it. It doesn't hold a candle to the Olympus EVF. So I took this just with the LCD....still deciding.

P.S. Have to add that I am head over heals about Silver Efex! Don and John, if you're listening - you were right! I did a slightly different version here. But only the obsessive will see why.:drinks:

Normally not my thing. I went to the Griffith park Observatory a few days ago with a friend who is an avid birder as he heard their was a couple of rare new birds up their. Anyway, here are a few snaps from up in the hill.
Images are made with the LX-5

P1010718.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010729.jpg

P1010738.jpg

P1010734.jpg

P1010735-2.jpg

P1010751.jpg

Prefer the BW version especially with the movement in the right hand on the keyboard.

As do I. In fact I thought it was the same shot with some VERY effective use of post processing blur effects to create that, but there are a couple of details that seem different enough that I'm thinking they're two separate but VERY similar exposures.

BBW, your husband either doesn't mind having his picture taken or he's a very patient man. If I shot my wife this much, I might not still have one!

-Ray

Thanks for the comments. Fortunately my husband is both patient and doesn't mind his picture being taken. I'm lucky in both of these things. I'm not the fastest trigger on the east coast, so it's an especially big help with a new camera.

And yup, different exposures - and this second one is with the flash. Basically trying it out. And yes, that is his ruddy coloring.

I like the black and white better, too, however I'm very impressed with this little camera and wanted to show how it does its stuff for this thread.

Normally not my thing. I went to the Griffith park Observatory a few days ago with a friend who is an avid birder as he heard their was a couple of rare new birds up their. Anyway, here are a few snaps from up in the hill.
Images are made with the LX-5.

Javier, though you say it's not usually your thing...and I'm not sure if you mean birding or going to the observatory;) - my two favorites are #3 in your first post and the final one in your second post. Your chosen angle of view as well as what you've included in these two, make them really stand out to me. Maybe it's good for us all to try out different styles and places? I know you'll always have your true love of people :D - but I like these two very much.

I got the LX-5 yesterday and went out into my typical bike riding country today. And the leaves are finally getting around to changing. So I just took a few typical autumn countryside scenery shots and here are a handful. Nothing ambitious, but a chance to play with the camera a bit. I really like the 16/9 format for landscape shots - not so much for portrait oriented. The camera is a joy to use - highly intuitive, although the real acid test is when I start to play around other people, hopefully this weekend, to see how that feels.

These are jpegs, which I'm gonna be shooting until Apple gets around to supporting this camera. I did a few minor tweaks in Aperture and was impressed by how much you can do with a jpeg - not as much latitude as RAW, but I can live with it for a few months. I also wasn't really paying attention and shot these all at f 7 ish, which is a bit narrow. But I'm ok with them anyway.

-Ray

View attachment 30168

View attachment 30169

View attachment 30170

View attachment 30171

View attachment 30172

What a great day you had for your ride, Ray!

gsaronni, I think that sometimes the Panasonics do tend to give a color shift. For me they often seem a bit too yellow. I have to admit that I have been using RAW turning them to DNG now that I know how..but I have some jpegs, too an they look pretty good. Often if you try out Auto WB and Auto Tone, and then work from there it can help, but it's not always a given with the jpegs. And then it's also a matter of one's computer screen...

Ray, my favorite of yours is the 4th - wonderful color fields, pun intended but nevertheless meant! They're all nice but four is my favorite, even though I can well see why gsaronni chose your last one - there light is great along that Sycamore lined road!

*I'm so envious of your bicycle route, Ray - wow! Can you ride there from home? It's such beautiful countryside.

Save your RAW files Ray so when you can, you'll be able to play around with them - if you want to.

BB,
Many times with shooting in Jpeg, if the sharpening is set to high, you get a color and contrast shift.
Now we know what Ray does when he's not on the street.....

FWIW, I'm shooting jpeg in standard film mode with contrast and saturation at 0, sharpening at +1, and NR at -2. This seems to be the consensus of a bunch of folks at dpreview and it seems like a good starting point.

I may get to do some street stuff with it this weekend. Shooting rural scenery is infinitely easier to me.

-Ray

Back