Panasonic Panasonic LF1 on its way ...

carlb

All-Pro
Thanks to Mick / Lumix for his thoughts on the Panasonic LF1 in his thread "What's going on <...>." It brought to my attention this (relatively) new "serious-subcompact" that's really shirt or pant pocket compatible.

What sold me on the camera are his and others impressions of image quality that outclass its small sensor size and thin form factor, its decent zoom range, and its electronic view finder (EVF). On cameras without one, I do miss an EVF when the sun is in my eyes. Doesn't matter that it's not a great EVF - it will still be better than a washed-out screen to get the shot. Cup a hand over the top of the camera and my eye, and my visual contrast comes right back.

I look forward to carrying this little beast around most of the time. Fewer missed shots because even the X20 was too big to just stuff in a pocket. Not wishing that IQ was better, because the LF1 gets sharp detailed shots well beyond anything of its size besides the Canon S110.

Yes, the Sony RX100 will beat the LF1 for IQ. But the extra thickness and weight of the Sony would mean more times that I wouldn't take it along. That and I'd miss at least some kind of EVF with the Sony.

The LF1 should arrive Monday. Needless to say, I've much anticipation. :)

I look forward to seeing your shots - please post at 1024 & link to some some full size images

Your observations will be most welcome

Back