Micro 4/3 Panasonic GX80 (GX85) Is it the GF1 we always wanted?

Name
Andy
I have had a play with the GX80 and it is wonderful!!

I see it a decent replacement for the GF1 rather than anything to do with the GX8 although it is a smaller version. I loved the GF1's that i owned and this could be another camera to love.

OK it's only 16Mpx but no AA filter...WOW!
Fixed EVF, Tilt screen, small size, 5 axis IS with zoom lenses, All good stuff.

1st camera I have been really excited about for a very long time except maybe for the Pen-f.

Cant wait for samples.

Now I know who to blame eventually, just in case ... ;)

Seriously, I find this camera very interesting as well - not a PEN-F or a GX8, but in many respects, a camera that might suit my needs just as well for a lot less ... I'm very interested in seeing the I.B.I.S. put through its paces ...

M.

Looks a lot like a GX7...
Well, minus a few things, and crucially (for me) a few millimeters of protrusions - but equally crucially, with (probably) even better I.B.I.S. than the GX8 ...

Concerning handling: I actually held the GX7 after using the LX100 and the E-M10 with ECG-1, and didn't like the grip much - I found it a bit too bulky for my taste. The new grip looks a lot like the one on the LX100; in my book, that's a good thing - I love that grip. I also don't need (or even appreciate) tilting EVFs - of which I have used a couple. That said, the (bigger) EVFs on the GX8 and E-M5 II are a treat ... but I like the one on the LX100 enough to not find its reuse an issue at all.

M.

The GX80/85 looks like it would make a lot more sense for me than the GX8. It's being launched at $799 including lens, which makes it very competitive with cameras like the Fuji X-E2s. It also uses the same battery as the Panasonic LX100 and ZS/TZ100. How great is that?

I get that rare inch for some Panasonic bodies. I really liked the GX7 a lot but was disappointed with the IBIS since I have mostly Oly lenses. This one looks really promising and is considerably cheaper than a Pen F. Otherwise, same weight and size as the F. If I ever used video this would be obvious.

It does look interesting, but I wish you could disable some of the display screens. If only you could go directly between the "With information" and "On-monitor recording information" screens. It would act like the SCP on Olympus bodies. It's my main complaint about Panasonic bodies, I might still have my GX7 if not for that. On my E-M5 mkII I have the information and level screens on and SCP by OK. If I could disable the unwanted screens, use the on screen buttons for level, histogram,.. and leave the QMenu for things I rarely use.

The more I look at (and into) this camera, the more sense it makes - even when it comes to the details. That's something that doesn't happen very often - with the PEN-F, it was quite the opposite, actually.

EDIT: Just found something else I hadn't considered previously (I have posted a lengthy piece on mu-43.com about my musings ...); please bear with me here since I'm mainly an Olympus user, but: The menus can be used via the touch screen, something I know to be very handy from my D5500 ... As I said, the more I look into it, the more rounded it seems to become. Now if this I.B.I.S. is worth anything ...

M.

Last edited:
The GX7 was my favorite Panasonic camera ever and one of my favorite m43 bodies, so if I was in the m43 market, I'd give this a good hard look. Although if I was in the m43 market, I'd probably STILL have the GX7. I'd prefer this to the GX8 in terms of size (says a nearly full time DSLR shooter...), IBIS, and having a flip screen rather than full articulation. But I'd probably try to find an older GX7 instead because of the customization possibilities. Just thinking out loud - this is all pretty academic to me anymore.

-Ray

This looks really great to me- it combines the all the features of the G7 with the styling of the GX7, and adds 5-axis IBIS to boot! This will be fantastic for video, and the filterless sensor should be great as well.

Back